Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Time to get tires what should i get?

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2011, 9:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get tires what should i get?

So Im kind of stuck on what to do. I need to get tires for my silverado but i like the gas mileage im getting with the 265's that are on it but at the same time i love the looks of them with some 285's. How much is going up to 285's going to effect my gas mileage? Its an 01 silverado with the 5.3
Old December 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to much...I was gettin around 15 with 285s in my 01 when it was stock. 285/75/16 bfg all terrains to be exact
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:11 PM
CF Active Member

If I went with the 285's I would probably get the rough country lift that includes the torsion keys, shocks all the way around and blocks in the rear just to get it to set up a bit higher. I just don't want to kill my gas mileage
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

What are you getting now? Get the tires you want and go to blackbearperformance.com. With the custom tune amd intake, I saw 2.5 mpg increase
Old December 27th, 2011, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by country_09
What are you getting now? Get the tires you want and go to blackbearperformance.com. With the custom tune amd intake, I saw 2.5 mpg increase
I havent actually calculated the gas mileage yet but i would say about 15mpg without any highway driving.

By the way see your avatar pic, sharp looking truck! Loos really nice
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

It'll go down just a bit with 285s but wit that custom tune, you'll see round a 2 mpg increase so should stay the same. And thanks man! I just put a 6" rough country lift on it last week so it sits up better now
Old December 28th, 2011, 8:05 PM
CF Active Member

Okay I contacted them about the custom tune. How does that process exactly work?

Also if I get the torsion keys to level out the front end how easy are those to put in? Maybe a dumb question but those basically just replace the stock torsion keys correct? And give you more adjustment then the stock ones?
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Well you can tell Justin exactly how you drive, more highway/more city, whatever it is you see on a normal basis and he makes a tune for you. It's very good for not actually bein I'm the truck and drivin with you. Tell him all the specifics about your truxk and he'll dial everything in. If you want to use premium gas he can make it to where you only run premium, if not he tunes it for regular. But with a premium tune you'll see better results. And yes levelin keys are re-indexed and allow you to crank more than stock keys will. They're fairly easy, me and my bro did mine with a 7 ton 2 prong puller from o riellys in about 30-45 minutes. But levelin keys are hard on your front end. They put everything in a bind if you crank them to much. Stocks are good for about 1-1.5" of lift will levelin keys are good for 2-2.5" of lift but many people crank them all the way up and are replacing things left and right. I say crank your stocks up and see if you get level, if not then order levelin keys. Oh and don't forget an alignment after crankin them up
Old December 29th, 2011, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Well my thoughts on cranking the stock ones all the way up, I was figuring since you get mire lift out of the aftermarket ones I could use those and not have to crank them very far at all and would be better on the truck. Or your saying its best to just crank the stock ones all the way rather then even putting the leveling keys in? I just don't wanna put a lot of stress on the front end is why I ask cause I knoe its hard on it. Just trying to figure out what's the best route.
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Crank your stocks and see if it's level, if not get aftermarket keys. Then add a 1.5" body lift from zone

Quick Reply: Time to get tires what should i get?