Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

tow/haul mode "always on" or "always off"

Old January 3rd, 2012, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow/haul mode "always on" or "always off"

Is the tow/haul mode switch ont he shift lever an "always on" switch or an "always off" switch.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 2:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when you click it, it turns the tow haul mode on and the light on the dash appears. Click it again and it goes away meanin it's off
Old January 3rd, 2012, 3:29 PM
CF Junior Member

So, it's an "always on" switch, until it's clicked again turning it off?

My problem is, the light comes on, but it doesn't appear to kick the rpms up when towing 9K lbs.

I wonder if the dash light is a momentary need but the lockout itself is not a momentary need (always on switch until it is depressed a second time)???????????????????????

2001 Suburban 2500 8.1L 4x4 Auto

This weekend while towing 9K lbs down the flat freeway I was going 60mph at 2K RPM. When I hit the button the light comes on, but there is no change in RPM.

Thoughts?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 7:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> damone,

The Tow/Haul Light message is displayed when the tow/haul mode has been activated.

Tow/haul is a feature that assists when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load. The purpose of the tow/haul mode is to:

- Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability of transmission shifts when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
- Provide the same solid shift feel when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load as when the vehicle is unloaded.
- Improve control of vehicle speed while requiring less throttle pedal activity when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

Your vehicle may also have the Autoride feature which will provide a superior vehicle ride and handling under a variety of passenger and loading conditions.

The system is fully automatic and uses a computer controller to continuously monitor vehicle speed, wheel to body position, lift/drive and steering position of the vehicle. The controller then sends signals to each shock absorber to independently adjust the damping level to provide the optimum vehicle ride.

Autoride also interacts with the tow/haul switch that, when engaged, will provide additional control of the shock absorbers. This additional control results in better ride and handling characteristics when the vehicle is loaded or towing a trailer.

For your reference, this information is also available in the owner's manual (pages 2-83, 4-51 and 2-35) at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...t-Suburban.pdf

I hope this information is helpful!

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 3rd, 2012, 8:30 PM
CF Active Member

One more thing the two switch goes off when you turn the key off. Meaning when you stop and restart you will have to reengage the switch.
Old January 4th, 2012, 4:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.

So, since the t/h light is on I can assume the t/h is working???

Should I get a jump in RPMs when I first engage the t/h mode and again a drop in rpm when I disengage?

The autoride poses another question i have (I do have that option as well). When towing the 9K lbs trailer feels like it pushes the rearend of the vehicle when going into a curve. I have hitch set-up correctly and trailer load balanced as well. I can feel it at the beginning of the curve, but it seems to catch up as I go through the curve. Never felt this pushing feeling while towing same TT with several different tow vehciles.

Thanks Again.
Old January 4th, 2012, 7:14 PM
CF Active Member

Tow/haul will only hold in each gear to a higher rpm before shifting. It will not raise your cruising rpms.
Old May 7th, 2021, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Silverado 1500 hd 6.0

Originally Posted by damone
Is the tow/haul mode switch ont he shift lever an "always on" switch or an "always off" switch.
tow light comes on and off switch is not doing anything
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ron Groh
tow light comes on and off switch is not doing anything
I think if you are driving along and hit the t/h button you probably won’t see any difference unless you were in a higher gear that is at lower end of that gear but would have “locked out” in the higher end of the lower gear had the t/h already been engaged.

(Simplistic explanation, but really has todo with torque not RPM) essentially if the tranny shifts at 3500 RPM regularly, it might wait to 4000 RPM when t/h is engaged. It locks out the torque converter and causes the tranny to shift later in torque curve.
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by damone
Thanks for the replies.

So, since the t/h light is on I can assume the t/h is working???

Should I get a jump in RPMs when I first engage the t/h mode and again a drop in rpm when I disengage?

The autoride poses another question i have (I do have that option as well). When towing the 9K lbs trailer feels like it pushes the rearend of the vehicle when going into a curve. I have hitch set-up correctly and trailer load balanced as well. I can feel it at the beginning of the curve, but it seems to catch up as I go through the curve. Never felt this pushing feeling while towing same TT with several different tow vehciles.

Thanks Again.
noticed same thing with mine. I believe majority of that feeling is the stability control adjusting the shocks.

Some of that can be controlled by setting boost into the brakes controller so there is no “pushing” by the trailer.