Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trailer lights problem-New Member

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer lights problem-New Member

Hello Folks,

New member here requesting help troubleshooting a issue I am having with trailer lights. I did a search but didn't find an answer.

I have a 2009 Silverado Z71 with the towing package so factory installed 7 pin plug. On 2 different trailers, all lights including running lights, with the exception of the left turn/stop work fine. I have replaced the fuse under the hood for left turn/stop and the adapter between the 7 pin plug and the 4 pole trailer lights.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old August 13th, 2012, 5:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ensure you have a good ground between the trailer and truck. A bad ground will make odd behavior. Just temporarily run a wire from the trailer frame to truck frame and see if the problem continues or not.
Old August 13th, 2012, 6:14 PM
CF Active Member

Ditto...a bad ground will drive you nuts!
Old August 14th, 2012, 3:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Joshfcb,

"spyncycle" offers great advice. I agree, it sounds like a wiring issue. Consider having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 14th, 2012, 9:35 PM
CF Active Member

If your going to try to every work on your own electrical issues, it would be wise to buy a good quality digital multimeter, and learn how to use it. If you have power per each wire coming out of your trucks plug, then plug the trailer in and test each light's socket. If you have power coming into each socket, you have a problem with your ground. My 88, which I put a bed from a 98 on had a little screw holding the ground to the bed, it was rusted and didnt work. I installed a small piece of angle iron with a couple holes to the frame. To this I wired all the grounds for the rear of the truck. I also made the same type of bracket and did this with the fuel pump by the gas tank, seeing how the fuel pump was grounded to the truck box. Using dielectric grease in between the washers, bolt head, and the other places that metal to metal touch, then coating the outside with paint/grease will prevent further corrosion.