Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Trailer Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2011, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring?

I have a 2002 Silverado 1/2 ton and the trailer wiring connector by the spare tire was cut off. Tried hooking up a converter to the wires but could not get the brake lights to work. The running lights and turn signal worked ok but no brake lights. The converter is a 5 wire to 4 wire hookup. I noticed when I applied the brake pedal I also had power going to both turn signals. Confused. Appreciate any help, Charlie
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power going to the turn lights when the brakes are applied would be a normal thing,unless you had a turn light activated.
Old August 29th, 2011, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

There are 6 wires coming out the harness. I tested and found the stop, rt turn and left turn and running lights, don't know what the other two are for. This where I noticed the brake and turns were energized together. Hooked these up to the converter as per instructions(5 wires on one end and outputting 4 wires, tailight and brakes combined into 1 wire). Then hooked up to the trailer and no brake lights. I must be missing something. Trailer lights worked fine when hooked up to a 2007 silverado.
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Old Wrench is correct about the lights working together. My mistake was thinking I needed a converter to go from seperate turn and brake lights when the Chevy was already wired to match the trailer lights. Thanks Old Wrench, Charlie