Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tranny act like its in neutral at random and p0128

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2014, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny act like its in neutral at random and p0128

here are the specs

2001 silverado 5.3 4l60e
Hp tuners tune (****ty one)
Rebuilt trans about 10k miles ago
Borg Warner high performance clutches
Trans go hd2 shift kit
New shift solenoids and electronics

Well it's not clutches I know when those go trust me lol when I have 3rd and 4th they are solid with no slippage it did this before (similar and before rebuild) and I unplugged the main electric plug on the side of the tranny and it would work fine for a few more days at least Idk I almost think I have a bad ECM all together because it has a misfire problem as well and the miss has been thoroughly diagnosed with no problems found.... Any suggestions?

also I have a p0128 code :/ it stays cold like 165-175 degrees here is what I have done to try and resolve.

new radiator
new thermostat x2
recently flushed radiator
heater doesnt get too awfully warm either
Old February 3rd, 2014, 5:21 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When does this happen? From a stop, going down the road, any particular gear?

Allan
Old February 3rd, 2014, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

i was going down the road and it would randomly drop to second anyways now I have lost 3rd and OD and i just run the codes and got p0741 i cleared the code and took off and still do not have 3rd or OD the fluid didnt smell burnt when I pulled over and checked it?
Old February 3rd, 2014, 5:15 PM
CF Pro Member

So, if I'm understanding you correctly,

Now, you simply have no engine light and still have no 3rd and 4th? Does it ever 'jerk' back in and hook up? Or, 3rd and 4th are just non-existent.

OR, does the check engine light come on when it's time to shift to 3rd and won't shift up?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to diagnose the guy over the phone.

Allan
Old February 3rd, 2014, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
So, if I'm understanding you correctly,

Now, you simply have no engine light and still have no 3rd and 4th? Does it ever 'jerk' back in and hook up? Or, 3rd and 4th are just non-existent.

OR, does the check engine light come on when it's time to shift to 3rd and won't shift up?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to diagnose the guy over the phone.

Allan
haha yea I know what you mean okay I will give a more detailed response this time.

I hop in my truck yesterday to take my gf home I get about 7 miles down the highway going 65 and all the sudden my truck revs like I am in neutral but I am in drive. but if i give it gas it starts going when it hits 4,000 rpms because it is in 2nd gear for some random reason. so I decide to "experiment" I move the gear selector to "2" and then to "3" and the truck shifted to 3rd then from "3" to "D" and it shifts to overdrive. at this time im wondering what is up but I just act like it didnt happen soo I keep driving for another mile or two and it does it again well I end up going back home like that. This morning my aunt called and asked me to pick her up 40 miles away....I say yes because I forgot about the problem....then I remember but she is waiting on me so I leave to go get her I get 10 miles down the highway going 65 and it does it again....well I made it there like that and I check the codes and there are none well on the way back 3rd and OD completely stopped so I do 40 in 2nd all the way home and I check the code and I got P0741 and no 3rd or overdrive.

all that on a tranny rebuilt 3,000 miles ago
Old February 3rd, 2014, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

ive done some research and checked for bad or pinched wires going into the tranny and it all checks out fine its either the internal wiring harness or TCC lock up solenoid causing the code...

New 4L60E Internal Wire Harness Solenoid with Lock Up 93 02 Chevrolet GM | eBay

that "should" fix the code but would that solenoid cause 3rd and OD to go out?
Old February 3rd, 2014, 6:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Yes,

If the computer sees something out of parameter, it will go into 'limp' mode which is 2nd gear. To verify, it will also skip 1st and start out in 2nd if it is actually in 'limp' mode.

If it starts in 1st however and then shifts to 2nd but no 3rd/4th, you're probably looking at a forward sprag or clutches.

Now, if the tranny IS starting out in 1st and then shifting to second, the only way to know for sure is to drop the pan to see if the debris is metal or mud.

You haven't added and miracle 'tranny additive' have you? Those sprags just cannot handle that kind of dope.

Let us know what you find out,

Allan
Old February 3rd, 2014, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

If I put it in "D" it does start in second I have to manually shift to get second. so yes it is in limp mode

only additive in the transmission is lubegard atf protectant but its not an anti slip additive or anything.

it didnt slip or anything so I dont think its clutches and it doesnt smell burnt

Last edited by bbowerman76; February 3rd, 2014 at 8:27 PM.
Old February 4th, 2014, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

well cleared the codes to see if I had 3rd or OD temporarily and i got nothing but a jerking.... transmission is shot... now 1st to 2nd is slipping gonna pull it out and warranty it.... not too happy.
Old November 26th, 2021, 3:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same trans issue

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
Yes,

If the computer sees something out of parameter, it will go into 'limp' mode which is 2nd gear. To verify, it will also skip 1st and start out in 2nd if it is actually in 'limp' mode.

If it starts in 1st however and then shifts to 2nd but no 3rd/4th, you're probably looking at a forward sprag or clutches.

Now, if the tranny IS starting out in 1st and then shifting to second, the only way to know for sure is to drop the pan to see if the debris is metal or mud.

You haven't added and miracle 'tranny additive' have you? Those sprags just cannot handle that kind of dope.

Let us know what you find out,

Allan

So my 4l60e in my 03 suburban suddenly lost 3rd and 4th gears I can put it in drive it'll start in first and shift to second but 3rd is like neutral I'm hoping for a shift solenoid problem

Quick Reply: tranny act like its in neutral at random and p0128