Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transfercase leaking

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2008, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transfercase leaking

hello all, I have a 2002 chevy silverado 4x4 8'bed standard cab 4.8 with 167,000 miles on it. my transfercase started leaking recently near the drive shaft (output shaft according to the chevy dealer). I replaced the shaft seal and the yoke (short piece of splined drive shaft that goes into the transfercase) with a new one. according to my dealer it is a new and improved unit. I also replaced the breather hose check valve. when replaceing the 3 pieces mentioned i drained the fluid and replaced with fresh new dexron iii fluid. it still leaks like a sive. anyone else have this issue?? i feel like i just wasted about 250.00 since i replaced both ujoints while i was under there. could it be the bearing that the spline rides on?
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: transfercase leaking

Welcome to the forum!!! Someone here should be able to help, hang in there.
Old March 17th, 2008, 3:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt the possibility thebearing is causing the leak. Check the way you put the seal and o-ring back in and make sure it hasn't split.
Old March 17th, 2008, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

i had a similar problem in my z-71, i went thru and replaced several output shaft seals. i added uv dye to my fluid in the case and found that it was actually leaking at the press fit from the shaft to the yoke. i never have seen a leak of this type before, kinda stumped me for a few weeks. i assume it is the np241 transfer case.
Old March 19th, 2008, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

thank you guys for your replies. i think i will buy another seal and apply sealer to the seal where it mates with the transfercase (o.d. of seal to i.d. of transfercase). i know my fluid level was high, but not enough to cause this kind of leak. i may call the chevy dealer to find out what they do to fix it.
this is a pain since i installed a new yoke w/ a new seal. this is very frustrating. i am very gentle when i slide the shaft thru the seal and have never had an issue like this.
Old March 19th, 2008, 4:41 PM
CF Active Member

Something tells me you didn't put the seal on right. Did you try wiping off the fliud and pinpointing exactly where it was leaking from?
Old March 27th, 2008, 9:13 AM
CF Beginner

i replaced this seal before at 110,000 miles with out any issues of leakage (i replaced it when the u joints went bad). I have a seal driver i use that seats the seal evenly. I always wipe the area down with brake cleaner and a clean rag before applying new seals. I'm really stumped. I think there maybe a venting problem.
Old April 30th, 2008, 5:58 AM
CF Beginner

well after a lot of searching and anther seal I found that i have a hole in my transfercase. this is caused y the pump rubbing a hole in the casing.

there's a lot of info on this at thedieselplace chevy forum. search for pump rub. so it was never the seal in the first place

Old April 30th, 2008, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

here's a link to get started

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=234405