Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

transmission cooler line active leak

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2011, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission cooler line active leak

i had a pre purchase inspection today at local Chevy dealer on a 03 sliverado i had come to terms with on at another non-GM dealership. the inspection came back with an active leak in the transmission cooler line and a seaping leak in the front axle seal and powersteering shaft seal. the dealer quoted me about $1000 (tranny $500, axle $250, PS $315) to do the repairs. a couple questions 1) how urgent of a deal are these issues and 2) in your opinion is the price quoted by the dealer high or could i do significantly better than this at an independent shop?

I appreciate your opinion these issues are a bit above my pay grade of fluid changes and brake pad changes.
Old January 4th, 2011, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

PS the truck is in immaculate shape otherwise and has under 60K miles.
Old January 4th, 2011, 8:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who cares about PS or Axle seal? Anyway I believe they use the same seal, $15 each. And the cooling line can be replaced with regular 3/8" rubber hose. $1000? Wow, I wouldnt do it but I d still get the truck. That stuff sounds like less than $200 fix to me.
Old January 4th, 2011, 9:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leaks

Should a truck with this low of milage have so many problems? I think you are in heat for this unit. Slow down and tell them you will buy it once these problems are fixed. If they are ligit they should not want to sell something with obvious problems.
Old January 4th, 2011, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

OW -> that was my thought as well. I did offer to allow the selling dealer to make the fixes, but they did not take me up on the offer so I walked out, but they have my phone number if they should reconsider.

RX -> I presumed the cost the dealeservice had a lot of fat on the price, but I dont feel comfortable making those repairs on my own so I would still have to go to a shop to have the work done if i bought the truck with said issues.

thanks for your help.
Old January 5th, 2011, 8:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure, brother, support your small business man. And save a buck while your at it.
Old January 5th, 2011, 2:21 PM
CF Junior Member

So you had a Chevy dealer inspect a truck you were lookin to buy at a different dealer?
Did the inspecting dealer try to sell you "a better truck" as they told ya how much it was gonna cost to fix this one?

I would want them to show me the leaks before I believed them.

Probly not leaking enough to drip.
Old January 5th, 2011, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

no they didnt try to sell me a different truck. they dont have any on their lot in my price range. the service guy at the chevy dealer is a friend of a friend, not close enough of a connection to get a discount on service, but good enough to have the guy shoot me straight.