Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2008, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid replacement

I have an '02 with a 4.8. It has 118k on it now and is past due for a transmission fluid change. My question is this, is there any way to replace all of the fluid? I cannot find a torque convertor plug, so my assumption is that the only way to do it would be one of those dialisys machines at the dealer. I would like to remove all of the fluid and replace it instead of just getting 5 quarts. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Also, does anyone have an experience with the new synthetic transmission fluid?
Old April 14th, 2008, 4:51 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Transmission fluid replacement

In order to get the most fluid changed, your either pull out the tranny, take it apart and drain fluid from everything......or get someone to put a flush machine on it and your get 95% of the fluid. You won't get all of it as the fluid goes into certain ports while driving, and while parked, well you just can't run it through all of the gears.
Old April 15th, 2008, 1:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Shawnvw,

That was the conclusion that I had come to myself. I do not understand why they quit putting drain plugs on the torque converters, it sure made it much easier. I am not pulling the transmission so I guess I will have to put it on a machine. =(
Old April 17th, 2008, 4:43 PM
CF Active Member

If you have the full flush on transmission let us know how it works out. Some that did not have the transmission serviced on a regular interval had problems after having a flush.

Others that that did not have the transmission serviced on a regular intervaldropped pan replaced filter and just added the oil that drained out. Then in 10K did the same thing again, then again in 10Kand by that time had most all the trans oil changed.

Hope it works out with no problems.

Old April 17th, 2008, 11:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I have heard from many people after doing a full flush with a high mileage tranny that it leads to problems. A lot of people have said they experienced slipping afterwards. I talked to a tranny guy and he said that as the clutches wear in some of the material goes into the fluid and helps keep the tranny working better (or something like that it was a while ago) but he did say it is better to just drain the pan and do the filter.
Old April 20th, 2008, 9:28 AM
CF Junior Member

This is good to know. I think that I am going to drop the pan and do it that way. I actually had it in my mind to remove it all and go back with synthetic, but Iwould have totake out a loan to do all that. =) Thanks for the info guys.