Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission kinda bogs down when accelerating in 1st gear?

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2010, 3:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission kinda bogs down when accelerating in 1st gear?

I have a 93 Z71 with 254,000 miles. I bought the truck back in March. When I first bought it, I didnt notice any hesitation when taking off. But for the past two months ive been experiencing this "hesitation" or "bogging down" when accelerating from a stop light. Its just a quick second hesitation. Is my trans due for a rebuilt soon or could it be something else?

From the looks of things, it doesnt look like too much was done to the truck. I cannot spot out any thing that is aftermarket. When I first bought the truck, the AC compressor was rattling and seized up and then the water pump seals discinigrated into nothing and was pouring coolant all over. The E brake was broke and the rear drum brakes had no adjusters so I installed them. The thermostat was shot and I replaced that. I even had to replace all the turn signals and parking lights cuz they burned out at the same time cuz they were old. I have an oil leak and I believe its coming from the rear main seal. The exhaust is rusted to hell and back but the truck still manages to sound awesome and drives good other than this little bog. The front rotors were warped. I paid 1200 for the truck. And the 4 wheel drive still works good. There are newer O2 sensors and new alternator... power steering pump looks like its a newer one. newer tires too. It sucks because I have no job right now and I hope to keep the truck as a little project and fix it up. Its still a strong running truck.

The previous owner used it as a work truck and it has the usual michigan rust on the cab corners and fenders.

Last edited by tom5170; November 1st, 2010 at 3:19 AM.
Old November 1st, 2010, 8:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Are you sure its your transmission that bogs and not the engine? Sounds like it could be fuel related rather than trans.
Old November 1st, 2010, 3:30 PM
CF Active Member

Could be fuel related. I pulled a small trailer lastnight and the trans shifted good at higher speeds and picked right up. It also shifts good on the highway in all the other gears. It just seems like that first initial take off from a stop it kinda bogs down for a split second. How would I be able to tell if its the engine?
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
CF Active Member

do a quick tune up on your engine first, replace, plugs, plug wire, air filter, and most importantly the fuel filter, all of that shouldnt cost you more then $100 and im willing to bet will do the trick
Old November 3rd, 2010, 6:22 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah maybe a tune up will help. I havent done any of that stuff since ive bought the truck. The previous owner wrote down "cap and rotor 12/5/2005" on the frame under the hood. So maybe it hasnt been changed since then. And the salesman told me that the owner drove the truck to work 50 miles everyday. The spark plugs and distb dont look new at all either.