Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Truck Overheating

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2009, 4:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I am using the wrong terminology. My truck never has overheated to the extent that I'm on the side of the road with my hood up and steam coming out of the radiator. It has just always ran where the needle on the temperature gauge is just to the left of 210 degrees. So when it goes past that, I know I have something going on. Also, here of late, when it goes past that, it will continue to get hotter till I take some sort of action. The action I have taken lately is turn off the A/C and open the windows. Before that, I would take shoulders and side roads to get out of the Dallas traffic jams. I'll have to try the IR temp gauge you describe as I suspect it is my radiator acting up from a result of lack of maintenance and Dex-Cool. I wish the coolant systems had pressure sensors because something Wikipedia mentions regarding Dex-Cool is the pressure caps sticking in the open position and then allowing iron oxide or rust to form in the coolant system. I might want to replace my pressure cap for my radiator overflow reservoir as it is made of plastic and alot of moving plastic parts on my truck have broken (i.e. inner door handle, tailgate handle). The overflow reservoir is made of plastic and it even looks like the radiator is made of plastic, or at least the outer housing. Thanks.
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with Ukrkoz. Check carefully to be certain the exterior of the radiator hasn't become choked with bugs, dirt, debris, and mud. Dirt acts as a super-insulator, and with nowhere for the heat to go, your system is going to heat up.
Old July 13th, 2009, 9:42 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over heating while moving is almost always a restriction in the radiator. You should replace your rad cap every other year if not sooner, so you should have replaced it a few times by now. Especially with a dexicool vehicle
Old July 15th, 2009, 6:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like good suggestions from all. Inspect for bugs and dirt between A/C condensor and radiator, and check radiator that it is not clogged up. Probably the only way to access both sides of A/C condensor is to remove radiator. I need to just take out the radiator and send it to the radiator shop and then clean up everything real good around the A/C condensor, etc. Will replace my cap then also.
I noticed now I have a leak where I will end up with a puddle about 1.5 feet diameter over a ~12 hr. period. When I lay down I can see it looks like it's dripping from the water pump. Suspect when removed the nasty DexCool, now the green stuff is a little runnier and drips out of small holes easier. Can tell from the drops that my last flush took because they are a nice greenish, yellow, clear color.
Probably need to replace water pump when radiator is out and remove plenum and shroud. That job looks like a bear. The water pump could have been the problem all along. Will replace both belts at same time as the A/C belt has cracks on it. Sounds like an all-dayer.
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GregHamilton,
What was your out come with your over heating problem? was it radiator or the water pump? Because I'm having similar problem with my 2000 Silverado Z71. I have thermostat and fan clutch replaced already, and got better, but still overheating.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Truck Overheating.....Still!!

I had my water pump, all belts, and radiator overflow cap replaced and system refilled with the the greenish-yellow anti-freeze. Truck will still overheat if caught in a traffic jam, or even in the line at Whataburger like it did to me tonight. Got up to ~250 before I realized it and turned it off, had a heck of a time getting it started again. My next move will be to either remove the radiator and take to a repair shop to have it "cored" and checked, or just replace with a new one. When it is out, I still need to look at the backside of my AC condenser. Good luck!
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Did you replace your thermostat?? didn't see anyplace where you said that you've replaced it, or i might have missed it. As far as my problem, I'm still deciding if I should replace waterpump or the radiator. I might go ahead and replace both while I have the coolant out.
Old November 1st, 2009, 9:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah, I changed the thermostat, but it did not help. Probably will look at the radiator next. I would not think the water pump would be bad if it is not leaking. Mine started leaking after I replaced the coolant, so I replaced it.
Old November 16th, 2009, 3:11 PM
LME
CF Beginner

GregHamilton, what ended up happening? Did you replace the radiator?
Old November 17th, 2009, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Nah, will probably wait till summer, got other irons in the fire now.

Quick Reply: Truck Overheating