Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck shakes when i brake.

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shakes when i brake.

Ive had this problem since i got the truck. Whenever i brake and the truck is slowing down from 45 to 40 it shakes like crazy, but once it hits 39 it stops completely. I looked online a couple of months ago and someone said that the 98 silverado had issues with that, someone else suggested the rotors might be warped but i dont think that would shake like this at only 40 to 45. Anyone else hear of problems like this or have any suggestions?
Old September 25th, 2010, 4:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might check your balljoints... mine shaked bad at 30-50..but that wasnt when i was braking... so im not sure if that would do the same or not.. jack up the front of the truck so the wheels are off the ground.. grab the tire at 12 and 6 o clock and shake it back and foruth...u might have to shake it pretty good if you got bigger tires on it also check doign the same at 8 and 3 oclock..shake it back and foruth. if theres any play its probably balljoints
Old September 25th, 2010, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Checked them yesterday at the tire shop. Jacked up the front end and no play in either of them side to side or top to bottom. I would have taken the tires off and looked at the brakes but things got a little busy.
Old September 25th, 2010, 7:22 PM
CF Active Member

normally when my old chevy 2500 starts this, a rotor refacing and new pads takes care of the problem.

if this does not work then you are going to need a good brake system mech, it may be something to do with your anti lock system or Proportioning valve.

not sure these are the correct brake system terms.

I have a motorcycle that did the same thing, when slowing down (40-30 mph) it would start to shimmy, the problem was the back tire, it was cupped out and replacing the tires solved the problem, runs and stops great now.

at this point it's worth looking at your tires.
Old September 25th, 2010, 9:12 PM
CF Junior Member

ive also had a bad tire that would cause a vibration only at a certain speed.
Old September 26th, 2010, 8:37 AM
CF Junior Member

What truck are we talking about? Do simple things first. Tires for cupping & unusal wear; wheel bearings; rotors for oil contamination ( most of the time vibration is caused by warped rotors); is the truck dipping in front when braking?
That would cause a temporary misalignment of the front end; try braking slowly to check that. Examine drive shaft for damage and needle bearing wear. Retorque wheel lug nuts and set tire pressure higher 4# temporarially. The othe possible cause is reare wheel bearings or a rear axle problem. That would cause a constant hum all the time; mor so at cruising speed in high/drive. Finally is vibration present only when braking or all the time? In any gear?

Last edited by klutz1; September 26th, 2010 at 8:40 AM.
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Its a K1500. The tires are fine no cupping or unusual wear. The bearings are great no play in them whatsoever. Its not dipping to the front when i brake, and it only shakes when i brake from 45 to 40 no other time. I just rotated the tires a month ago at work, (i work at a tire shop) balanced, cleaned the rims, checked the bearings and the rotors while i did this and found no problems. It shook before i rotated them and it didnt change after i rotated them so I guess my best Option would be to change my rotors, brake pads and new drum brakes (a friend of mine suggested that my drum brakes may be out of round.)
Old January 25th, 2015, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Did you ever find out what was causing your truck to shake? My 95 Silverado does the exact same thing
Old June 8th, 2015, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem with my '04 Silverado 1500 LT. It turns out that the rear rotors were warped, probably from sticking pads due to dry caliper pins. After installing new rotors, pads and retaining clip hardware, problem solved.
Old September 13th, 2021, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Theophylaktos
Checked them yesterday at the tire shop. Jacked up the front end and no play in either of them side to side or top to bottom. I would have taken the tires off and looked at the brakes but things got a little busy.
well on my 06 I had to replace my bushings and shocks each shock has 2 bushings on top and when I lifted my truck they kept eating those bushing after 3 hours of driving