Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Truck started hesitating while accelerating just now?

Old May 6th, 2010, 6:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck started hesitating while accelerating just now?

93 Z71` with 251,000 miles.

Bought the truck about 2 months ago and the engine runs really good and sounds amazing for that many miles.

Today, I was driving it and it was running normal as it always did. Came home parked it on the wrong side of the street... so later on I went back out to park it in my driveway. Hopped in and instead of turning around or backing in my driveway, I drove around the block. Got half way around the block, and pressed the accelerator and it kinda hesitated. Got 3/4's the way home and it hesitated again when I pressed the accelerator. Parked it in front of my house, popped the hood and looked to make sure there wasnt anything loose like spark plugs or something. Started revving it and it was kinda hesitating in park. So I pulled forward and turned in my driveway and it stalled out. Started it back up, threw it in drive and pressed the accelerator and it almost died again. After I got it parked, I revved it and it was hesitating again.

2 weeks ago I put half a bottle of sea foam in the gas tank, and half a bottle of sea foam in the engine oil. I have filled up my tank about 6 times since then and I havent changed my oil yet.

I know my fuel sending unit bounces around when the gas in the tank reaches the last quarter. When the gas in the tank shifts, the gas gauge will bounce around and go to E and then back to quarter. Could it be my tank just low on fuel and the float is stuck? It reads the white line almost to E. I have drove it on this line before and its never hesitated like this since the whole 2 months ive been driving it. I've put about 1,000 miles on it since ive had it.

I can still hear the fuel pump turning on when I turn the key on battery mode. The fuel pump has always been a little loud and this time it doesnt sound any louder so the fuel pump most likely cant be the issue?

Last edited by tom5170; May 6th, 2010 at 6:36 PM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 6:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

could be simple as that, no fuel.
Old May 6th, 2010, 6:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check air filter and fuel filter.
When you fill up with gas the next 2 or 3 times put Chevron Techron formula in your tank. you can get it anywhere like WalMart, AutoZone, Kragan etc etc.
Also when it stalled out was it in park or were you driving?
If in park what rpm was it idling at?
And yes again, you simply coulda just been outa gas

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; May 6th, 2010 at 6:46 PM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

I know this is thinking outside the box, but would the '93s have the computer to read? If at all possible, get it to a A-Zone, O'Reilly's or someplace that has a hand held to see if it's coding.

Does your hesitating sound like it's choking because there's no air mixing with the fuel? Maybe it's the MAF sensor. I'm sure with a vehicle that age and with as many miles, the little parts are wearing out. Check the throttle body, make sure it's not loaded with crap. They're real easy to clean too.

Last edited by Lady3bglover; May 6th, 2010 at 6:50 PM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

Recently ive been driving it a little bit more harder and accelerating a little bit more harder than before. Before I was babying it because I didnt wanna kill my gas.

I know the engine is carbureted though. I guess I wont know until I try finding some gas and filling it with a few gallons and see if that cures it.

Can your float in the tank get stuck somehow and read wrong? Like I said, ive always let it get to this low and it never hesitated. I sprayed the throttle body with carb cleaner a while back but I didnt spray inside the carb or anything.
Old May 6th, 2010, 7:19 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Mille Racer 69
check air filter and fuel filter.
When you fill up with gas the next 2 or 3 times put Chevron Techron formula in your tank. you can get it anywhere like WalMart, AutoZone, Kragan etc etc.
Also when it stalled out was it in park or were you driving?
If in park what rpm was it idling at?
And yes again, you simply coulda just been outa gas

It stalled out when I had the wheel turned all the way to the left when I pulled in my driveway. I started it back up and turned the wheel halfway back and pressed the accelerator and it almost stalled out but didnt.
Old May 6th, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tom5170
Can your float in the tank get stuck somehow and read wrong?
I have'nt had that experience with my truck but I have had floats get stuck on 2 other vehicles of mine and on a friends tahoe so I would say yes it absolutely could happen to your truck.

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; May 6th, 2010 at 8:19 PM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 7:57 PM
CF Active Member

thats crazy
Old May 6th, 2010, 8:40 PM
CF Active Member

The salesman told me that the reason the previous guy traded it in is because it was a gas guzzler. He said that the guy drove to work 50 miles everyday.

I noticed that it does kinda guzzle the gas but isnt this normal for a truck? I drive it about 32 miles total each week going to work and school EXCLUDING whatever miles I drive on the weekend (which isnt much)... and I have to drop about $40 in gas during the weekdays. I'll throw 20 in it on Monday and then on thursday itll be on E, so i'll drop 20 in it until monday again when its on E.

When I first bought the truck, I had it sitting in my driveway with a half tank of gas. I would start it up here and there because I was trying to locate a coolant leak. The gas gauge went from half tank to E by the time I fixed the coolant leak. I never took the truck out on the road, and only ran it to fix it while it sat in my driveway. I remember when I first was running it in my driveway, I thought it smelled like gas as if it were running rich, but I thought this may be normal for an older truck with that many miles. I havent really smelled it that much recently... maybe its because I have gotten used to the truck and the smell? I cant remember if I smelled it when I first started it, or if it kept smelling like gas even after the truck stayed running for a bit.

Does a carbuerated engine have a MAF sensor or any other sensor that would make it do this?

Last edited by tom5170; May 6th, 2010 at 8:44 PM.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Does it have an aftermarket cold air intake kinda like this?
Attached Thumbnails Truck started hesitating while accelerating just now?-200-145-installed.jpg  

Last edited by Mille Racer 69; May 6th, 2010 at 10:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck started hesitating while accelerating just now?