Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Truck still Shakes

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2010, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck still Shakes

I am at a loss: Truck continues to shake between 60 - 70 mph and the ride is considerable rough/bouncing:

History:

06 Silv LS modes:

22's 305/50/22 tires
New Adjustable Gabriel HiJacker shocks in the back
Brakes have been checked (good)
Tires have been balanced twice
Alignment has been done twice and I have replaced the tie rods

For the past 4 days I have taken this truck to two shops and they both say the have it fixed but the shaking is still very annoying at the speed given above. I do realize that the comfort of the ride will be different given the change of wheels/tires but come on this is horrible.

I don't know what else to look for to change in order to, at least, stop the shaking/vibrating at 60-70 mph? Where do I go from here? I'm tired of dropping it off at the shop every morning and hitching a ride!

Suggestions? YES - I have used the "search" feature but nothing seems similar to my problem?
Old August 19th, 2010, 8:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi dadssilverado,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Is the steering damper still original? If it's the problem, you should notice that your steering is also a little loose above 40MPH...
Old August 19th, 2010, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Yes it's stock, however I guess I should have said the shake feels like it comes more from back more so.
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?

Is there any load in the bed?

I know my truck is very rabbity at higher speeds until I put a few hundred pounds in the bed, and 50/22s are going to tend not to diminish any ride roughness.

Also, look very carefully at the stabilizer bar links. They have a tendency to go pop off sometimes, and they don't show any ride roughness at lower speeds.

What's the mileage? Is there any chance the driveshaft is misaligned, or possibly a U-joint is defective?

Last edited by therewolf; August 19th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry about that 06 Silv 1500 LS with only 80K, no load in the bed. I haven't hauled in it since I changed out the tires. I already knew my quality of ride would deminish from previous wheel/tire combos on my other trucks but this seems different than normal.

I'll have to look at the stabilizer bar. I am not sure about shaft/u-joint, could I use what I have read on the board about driving down the street and turning the engine off to take the load off the shaft?
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are they high quality tires? i have seen many defects in low quality (korean) tires
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

They are Delinte Desert Storm D8 tires, idk about quality?
Old August 19th, 2010, 5:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, i dont know about their quality either, did u ever talk to the guy balancing your tires? they can tell those things, defects and bent rims really stand out while balancing
Old September 3rd, 2010, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Okay, so I found that even though the wheel/tire balanced one of the rims were warped. So I got that shop to replace the rim and the mother f still shakes!!! I am so fed up withs I am considering going back to my stock wheels/tires. I don't know what else to do?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 9:08 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have the stock wheels and tires available to you that might be a good sanity check is to put them on and see if the ride changes and if it is the new tire/wheels you may have to decide if the rougher ride is acceptable...
you may also want to try adjusting the tire pressure, full tires with no load can be bouncy...

Quick Reply: Truck still Shakes