Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 28th, 2015, 3:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Truck will not start when raining or very humid

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2015, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the other replies said to try wd-40 inside the cap. My brother-in-law has the same problem and we are going to try that. Get tired of dealing with this at many different mechanic shops and dealers. They may never have tried WD-40. I do remember Honda Civics having that same problem in the 80s and CRC worked then. My Impala also had the problem and CRC also worked in it.
Old June 4th, 2015, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Won't start after rain!

Hey budman283, What happened when you tried the wd40? Did it work? I too am having this same problem & lookin for the solution. I've replaced the fuel pump, & that wasn't the problem. Please help me w/your solution. Thanks.
Originally Posted by budman283
One of the other replies said to try wd-40 inside the cap. My brother-in-law has the same problem and we are going to try that. Get tired of dealing with this at many different mechanic shops and dealers. They may never have tried WD-40. I do remember Honda Civics having that same problem in the 80s and CRC worked then. My Impala also had the problem and CRC also worked in it.
Old June 16th, 2015, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gfd749
first off, i would like to thank u for what u and your fellow soldiers do for all of us. secondly, i dont know how much help i can give u but maybe i can give u some ideas. have u checked your distributor cap or rotory button. i have had the problem with moisture getting under the distributor cap causing the 4.3 to MISS but i havent had or heard about the moisture causing it not to run. your distributor itself could be a little worn out. but before jumping into changing a distriubtor. try changing your distributor cap and rotory button and spray a thin coat of copper seal under your cap. the copper seal stopped mine from missing when it rained.
gfd749 thanks for the tip! you said to spray copper under the cap, did you mean on the base or inside the cap (on electrodes)?
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default truck won't start when raining

Originally Posted by jacquiecancer72
Hey budman283, What happened when you tried the wd40? Did it work? I too am having this same problem & lookin for the solution. I've replaced the fuel pump, & that wasn't the problem. Please help me w/your solution. Thanks.
I had same issue with rain. Pulled off cap n rotor then used a hair dryer to blow off moisture for about 2 - 3 minutes. I also scraped off deposit on cap contact points and it started right up. Replace your cap n rotor with oem product.
Old July 8th, 2017, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Everything you listed is the problem I have with my 2000 Blazer. How did you finally resolve the problem?
Thanks
Old July 8th, 2017, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Applied fix

I had the same issue when it rained. Moisture was getting into the distributor cap. Replaced it and it solved my issue. The WD40 trick (as mentioned in another pist) makes sense because NASA made that formula to displace water.
Old July 13th, 2017, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Have you had a chance to check this out yet? Have a 2000 Chevy ZR2 and experiencing the same issues when there is rain or a lot of humidity.
Old July 13th, 2017, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chev blazerLT 2000
Everything you listed is the problem I have with my 2000 Blazer. How did you finally resolve the problem?
Thanks
Have you had a chance to check this out yet? Have a 2000 Chevy ZR2 and experiencing the same issues when there is rain or a lot of humidity.
Old February 1st, 2023, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Where are the results

What are the
suggested fixes see questions no answers or results