Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

true dual exhaust for a 1996 ext.cab

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2011, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true dual exhaust for a 1996 ext.cab

i'm looking for any suggestions . I have a 1996 Z-71 with the 5.7L it already has dual pipes back to the muffler. I would like to set up a true dual exhaust from headers to the exhaust tips. I figure i could use a cat back kit for the most of it,with low impedance cats, but does anyone know where i could find the piping from the cats to the headers? i know that i need to put an "H" pipe in ther somewhere. any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
CF Active Member

glasspacks are pretty sweet...u dont need cats and any shop should have a pipe bender forthe header to cat part....from what ive been told an h pipe or an x pipe wont give you any performance gains unless ur runnin a built engine but i might be wrong....what sound are you lookin for
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

Federal (not state or local) regulations require you to keep the same number of catalytic converters, and in the same location as the OEM system.

If the truck came with a single converter, you're stuck with a single converter unless you can buy a double-converter system that is EPA-approved for your vehicle.

GM sold a dual-exhaust conversion for older Camaros, the concept is valid--but most companies won't spend the money for an EPA exemption.

If your truck came with two converters, then you're in luck. Otherwise, you're probably locked into a single exhaust.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
CF Active Member

thats true you want to keep to the law but around where im from the cops dont bother with that silly hippy EPA lol. but yea if your somewhere more urban def keep ur cats
Old March 4th, 2011, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Unfortunately in Pa they have emissions testing, both visual and they hook up to the ecu to check for any codes. fortunately my style of truck has the dual cats, i'm dual all the way to the muffler( kinda stupid ) i'm looking to stay legal, but i would like to put a custom exhaust on from headers to tail pipe
Old March 7th, 2011, 5:03 AM
CF Beginner

i have a 98 with true dual, i went to a local muffler shop with my two super series 44 flomasters and went two 1/2 tailpipes with 3 inch tips and two 1/2 from the mufflers back to the manifold, i didnt bother with header because i like the way it sounds. i was able to scrap the cats and buy an o2 sensor that tricks the computer to think you still have cats (unless you truck was built in canada then you dont even have cats) it is a low burley sound and i paid under five hundred for everything. i would have went 3" but i didnt have the space underneath.
Old March 7th, 2011, 1:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Summit Racing has the kit for you, its complete from the back flange of the cats. comes with a flowmaster dual in dual out muff. I just went with the straight pipe from cats back, 45 bends on back with 4" 18" long tips. the straight pipe can be quiet when you need to but will wake the county if you ever need to. The system is also pretty cheap, they got two kinds. even comes with all the clamps and hangers, but i welded mine