Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 7:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Trying to program key fob, 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2019, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fob

Originally Posted by jfayadjr
I thought it might be that. Can I get one from a junk yard or do I have to order it new?
we have to figure this one out! No way any of us wanna spend another dime! My fob just broke! It was working but it's 19 years old! I ordered two new fobs and I don't and won't spend more ! Dang the techno
Old March 15th, 2019, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

I like the way you think!
Old March 16th, 2019, 8:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Maybe. Maybe Not.
On my 99 I ordered two fobs. Mine came with a little plastic sticky thingie on the + side of the battery. I didn't find that out until I tried everything else. I thought that maybe they didn't come with batteries so I took them apart to see. There was that white plastic sticky thing on them. I think it's mainly to keep the battery fresh and not leak and corrode like a flashlight will if left sitting for months. After reading this thread that's about all I can come up with.
Old March 16th, 2019, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fob

Originally Posted by 99 Silverado 3 door
Maybe. Maybe Not.
On my 99 I ordered two fobs. Mine came with a little plastic sticky thingie on the + side of the battery. I didn't find that out until I tried everything else. I thought that maybe they didn't come with batteries so I took them apart to see. There was that white plastic sticky thing on them. I think it's mainly to keep the battery fresh and not leak and corrode like a flashlight will if left sitting for months. After reading this thread that's about all I can come up with.
I'll go try that
Old March 16th, 2019, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jfayadjr
I thought it might be that. Can I get one from a junk yard or do I have to order it new?
You can get the bcm and or receiver at a junk yard cheap..make sure p/n's match some interchange others dont (junkyard units are hit and miss but if they dont work they will exchange)
you need to test units with a tech2 or scanner that has immobilizer function to verify operation ..and definately so to program any donor units if original non functional
Old March 16th, 2019, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fob

No plastic on battery, tried to program again, holding the muti function/ high beam lever back and cycle the key to on/of twice and release it and locks cycled lock/unlock, then held fob lock and unlock together and locks cycled, then turn ignition to on to exit program mode, fobs still don't work!!! Calf rope!!! Lol
Old March 16th, 2019, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key fob

Originally Posted by MadMan
No plastic on battery, tried to program again, holding the muti function/ high beam lever back and cycle the key to on/of twice and release it and locks cycled lock/unlock, then held fob lock and unlock together and locks cycled, then turn ignition to on to exit program mode, fobs still don't work!!! Calf rope!!! Lol
I just got both of mine to program, follow the original steps by holding down the unlock switch on drivers door, now here's what mine did, I did it 3 times or so and locks did not cycle, But it was very quiet outside and I heard something try to activate??? Not loud at all, so I grabbed remote and held lock and unlock at same time for I am guessing a minute seemed like!! Shazam the doors locks cycled, so I grabbed the other new one and repeated , after about 30 seconds the doors locks cycled, turned key to on position to exit . And BAM! They both work!! Hallaegh Jesus!! Thank you Lord!!!!
Old October 9th, 2019, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default No #4

Originally Posted by Doug Roberts
you have to jump obd2 port to 4 and 8 and turn key on oof three times then hold down lock and unlock i believe
i have same truck my problem is finding a key fob
My 99 doesn't have a pin in #8. But does have the right repo code but still doesn't work
Old October 9th, 2019, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hubbard
If you cannot enter program mode your issue is with the BCM located under steering column.
if you enter program mode and remotes do not respond your issue is with the receiver located under dash pad above instrument cluster.
What if it doesn't go in program mode?
Old October 9th, 2019, 6:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

do you have 99 old body style (looks like a 1998) or 99 new body style(look like a 2000)?

completely different builds and what works for a new body style won't work for an old body style.

Quick Reply: Trying to program key fob, 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500