Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turn signal circuit boards

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal circuit boards

Hello,

I have a 98 1500 Silverado and am having turn signal problems. It seems that I am blowing the circuit boards on both sides for the turn signal lamps. It started with no brake lights several months ago and that turned out to be a blown relay fuse under the hood.

That fixed the problem for about a week and then I had no brakelights and one of my turn signal lamps didn't work. So I replaced the circuit board after determining the lamp wasn't blown (I went ahead and replaced both circuit boards). That too fixed it for a couple of days and now I have the problem of turn signals that work when they feel like it.

I'm no electrician so I brought the truck to a mechanic to at least figure out what the problem was. He said that the circuit board was bad and when he flexed the board the lamp would work. I told him that they were less than a month old and he just shrugged his shoulders and said welcome to the world of auto electronics. I'm not buying that, not with both circuit boards being new and now ruined. Any help? Anyone had this problem before? I'm in grad school so money is not exactly floating around; if I can stay out of a shop I would like to.

Thanks!!!

Jake
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turn signal circuit boards

im in college for auto electronics and well, that phraze your mechanic said is fairly true. sad but true. we were going over this exact thing the other day. have you done anything with the actual turn signal **** on the steering column? possible you can have a cross short, or two wires have open shielding and the copper touches. happens when you turn the blinker on and your wipers go on. but it seems the boards are frying fast. check the wiring in the steering column just to be safe. i mean your wires start from fuse and go to the blinker and the switch. now maybe take back the blown boards and get new ones. i blew through a stores entire brake light switches because their entire stock was defective. all 7 of them. i tried and they were duds. it happens. but try that and also go to a local advance or autozone and ask somone. im lucky that i got an advance by my house and he just so happened to have worked as a tech for gm for many years and he helped me on so many things with my 98 silverado.
Old October 17th, 2008, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

I haven't done anything with the column- I've never tore into one before. The wipers don't come on when I kick on the blinker but coincidentally I am having problems with my wipers not working sometimes. They work most of the time but every once in a while they won't work. That lead you to any conclusions? Thanks for the help.
Old October 17th, 2008, 8:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wiper thing. when it doesnt work. does it make a buzzing sound like its trying to move the wipers but it cant? roll your window down. keep the key in the on position get out close door and try and run the wipers when they wont run. pull up on the wipers and get them to move. keep doing it until it works. sometimes it works an other times it dont want to keep working. thats exactly what i got. its the wiper motor. its 80 bucks at advance.
Old March 13th, 2013, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Hi guys, I am new to this but I need to ask a ?? hopefully someone can help, 98 Silverado, just over 100k ... turn signals/brake lights quit working yesterday,but still had tail lights.. so I check and change the fuse in the door panel.. like 20 amp or something.. the turn signals work for a couple of hours, then this time it blew the 30amp under the hood, but not the door panel fuse, I checked/changed every bulb on the darn truck (need to replace one of the over the cab brake lights). The left rear circuit board has been changed by the previous owner... I can see. The right side looks origional but not in bad shape. I now have everything working but the turn signals, and they do nothing on the dash or outside... but the switch for the hazzard lights is hard to get to work, but eventually works... also the grease they used is everywhere in the sockets and hardening on some could that affect it ?