Voltage gauge moving with turn signal - Page 2 - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage gauge moving with turn signal

Old May 23rd, 2015, 1:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Gotta be a ground issue. Please post your fix when you track it down. Remember patience is a virtue!!
Old May 25th, 2015, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

1stGenCamaroSS

Hello,

Iím so glad I stumbled across your posting. I own a 1998 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with a 5-speed manual transmission and over 325,000 miles. Everything you described in your post has happened to my vehicle. My first occurrence was about 5 years ago. I was driving down the interstate at about 60mph, the tachometer moved erratically and then the gauge cluster lit up like a Christmas tree and the vehicleís engine shut down. I coasted to a stop and I was able to restart with no problems. Now the problem happens maybe once or twice a month, sometimes more and then it will go for a few months without occurring. I thought at one point I traced the problem to a bad multifunction switch. When I engage my turn signal, the battery meter fluctuates. When the vehicle was new this never happened, but this started maybe 8 years ago. Once I engaged and kept the left turn signal on because I thought that was the culprit. The battery gauge began pulsating to the left and went lower and lower until the engine cut off. Sometimes when driving, I can somehow halt an engine shutdown if I catch the battery meter slowly moving to the left. I just manipulate different settings on the multifunction switch and somehow the battery gauge pops back to normal, but sometimes things are inevitable and once the battery gauge gets to a low enough number, the engine dies. Iíve been told by someone that there may be a grounding issue somewhere, but everything looks fine. Other than this problem, my vehicle, like yours, runs fine. I just replaced my alternator, but the problem remains. I own an Auto Zone gold battery.

What do you or anyone else think is the problem?
Old June 1st, 2016, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Alternator issues

Ok I bought my 2000 Silverado and it came with two of the off brand kcs you can buy at autozone. They worked but wanted more light since they were halogen. Bought 2 more and hooked them all to 1 wire going to the alternator. Now since they have been hooked up my voltage twitches from 16 to 14. So I unhooked the lights and tried it again. Still twitches. I believe it's a ground wire. What's your thoughts ?
Old February 24th, 2018, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Grounding guys.... Really common Chevy problem. I have added a engine to frame and a engine to chassis ground wire to my 92 3500 454 . Had all the issues, low voltage, gauge problems,
Charging issues
The ground strap wires are cheap....5.99 @ Autozone
Old March 22nd, 2018, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem on my k3500

I have the same issues New battery. 2ga ground cable. Replaced all ground straps Checked fuses and relays. Now the truck shuts off and won't start up till it sits for a few mins

Last edited by cwfor84; March 22nd, 2018 at 12:52 PM.