Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Vortec 305 to 350 upgrade

Old July 19th, 2014, 10:56 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol a filter pushed 400hp in your truck?? Lol I should be making 900 then lmao! I swear the things I read sometimes, you gained like 5 hp off that pos filter and even then that's setting the bar a lil to high lol
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:59 AM
New User

Originally Posted by fiendwithout666
Just saw your post and have to say I'm pretty much in the same position your in. I have a 1998 sierra with the vortec 305 and it's bone stock. Well I did put on an air filter and removed the top to the filter box taking it up to about 400 hp. I have been thinking about rebuilding my 5.0, swapping it out for a 5.7, or maybe going with a big block swap from like a 3500. I have decided to do bolt on parts that I know will swap over to a 5.7 if I ever decide to do the swap. Our cam is advertised having .414/.428 lift with stock 1.5 rockers. I'm planning on swapping in some 1.6 self aligning rockers that should bring total lift to .441/.456. From my research stock springs should be okay up to about .470 or so lift. I have single exhaust and it looks like 3" but the wye pipe is small so was thinking about doing Headers, wye piping and keeping the stock 3". Read the id tag in the glove box to determine your rear gear ratio. If you have anything less then a 3.73 I'de change it out to at least a 3.73 or lower depending on your wheel/tire combo and what kind'a driving you do. The junk yard is full of gov lock rear ends. I have no experience with them but alot of people trash talk them. After that I'de think about doing a program upgrade. From what I have heard I don't think you can buy a good tuner unless you have a 99 or newer but alot of people talk about places you can send yours off to and have it re tuned. Good luck and post often like I said i'm in the same boat as you and would love to know the progress!

Lol 400hp with an air filter haha you gained maybe 5hp off that and that's a lil to high.
Old March 20th, 2015, 8:30 AM
New User

I have a carbed moter and a electronic throttle body inj. and the carded moter is bigger and aftermarket ignition and my bone stock electronic 305 will smoke the 350 pull it and faster than it
Old March 20th, 2015, 8:41 AM
New User

Originally Posted by RacerX
well, a K&N filter that say can give you 75hp. Low flow exhaust systems can help too.
not to be rude but all a k@n do is look pretty the air filter its self is worth the price you will save that from not buying filters and it is a lot higher quality filter but the cold air intake is a waste all filter boxes have the holes for a reason it is not a good way to juice the truck up but it is a good thing to have
Old April 4th, 2016, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 98 k1500 with a 305 vortec that is a manual. the engine is good but the body is rough. half of drivers seat foam is gone. bed has holes because of rust. it needs a lot of work. my buddy has a 96 k1500 he would sell me but he took the engine out. his truck is a automatic and had a 350 vortec in it. can i take my 305 engine and put it in his truck? i see all types of post to take a 305 to a 350 but not the other way around like i need to do. any advice will help thanks
Old April 28th, 2019, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

I know that this thread qualifies as "ANCIENT" but the topic is something that I am presently interested in. It is for a somewhat different application than the previous posters though.

I am looking at a 2002 GMC Savana that has definitely seen better days. It runs and the transmission is still good. It is 5.0 ltr Vortec powered. This is the last year of the OLD small block Chevy engine. I want to do a swap into an '03 truck (which has a bad engine and has been offered to me on trade for an old motorcycle I have - about a $350 deal) and use a '98 5.7 Vortec SBC I have already - sitting on a rack in the shop ... and use the electronics from the van - which should theoretically be "plug and play" with the newer vehicle. Maybe not exact but close enough - probably requiring a few wire or pin position changes and/or connector swaps as well as an ECU reflash.

The real issue that I see is that the 5.7 used a dual cat exhaust setup whereas the 5.0 used a single cat exhaust setup. This sort of stuff is where things "always get murky". Is there (an) unused pin position(s) from which to run (a) wire(s) to an additional O2 sensor on the downstream side of the second cat?

I have pretty well ALL the mechanical parts to do the swap, including a dual cat Wye pipe from the 5.7 engine - and swaps have never, in the past, been worrisome things for me (like installing a 440 Mopar engine into a Dodge Mirada or a 1969 455 Olds motor into a 403 Olds powered Trans Am, a BBC into a Chevy Vega etc...) But that was in the days of carburetors and stand alone HEI ....However, this computer controlled engine "business" is a tiny bit bewildering and worrisome to me ....So - are there any gurus on the topic who can offer some insight?
Old March 2nd, 2023, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Duuuuh

Originally Posted by iorncowboy
I have a carbed moter and a electronic throttle body inj. and the carded moter is bigger and aftermarket ignition and my bone stock electronic 305 will smoke the 350 pull it and faster than it
No. You are retarded, it’s obvious.