Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Want to buy new truck, have few questions.

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2012, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy new truck, have few questions.

This is my first post so sorry if I do anything wrong ahead of time.

So I want buy a new silverado 08 or up and have a few questions.

First, I want to lift it and was wondering if diesel or gas would be better. I have heard that diesel gets better mileage in the end but gas is much cheaper.

Second, What is the difference between lift kits, body lifts, and leveling kits? Which puts your truck higher and which do you recommend?

Third, What are your thoughts on grille/brush guards and headache racks? Do they harm your gas mileage very bad? Are they worth the price?

If I get a few responses I may ask more questions as they come to me. Thank You.
Old January 14th, 2012, 6:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need the deisel? Do you pull/haul stuff? If not get the gas truck. Lift kits are full suspension lift, can go much higher 4" and up and keep stock ride qualities depending on the kit. Body lift is just raisin the body of the truck up, frame and suspension stay stock, levelin kit raises the front up only and changes the ride and puts stress on front end parts. Go suspension if you're wantin a real lift, I started with a levelin kit and now have a 6" suspension. Grille garuda aren't great for gas mileage, but if you want one get it. It's your truck so do what you will with it
Old January 14th, 2012, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by country_09
Do you need the deisel? Do you pull/haul stuff? If not get the gas truck. Lift kits are full suspension lift, can go much higher 4" and up and keep stock ride qualities depending on the kit. Body lift is just raisin the body of the truck up, frame and suspension stay stock, levelin kit raises the front up only and changes the ride and puts stress on front end parts. Go suspension if you're wantin a real lift, I started with a levelin kit and now have a 6" suspension. Grille garuda aren't great for gas mileage, but if you want one get it. It's your truck so do what you will with it

Thank You. I don't really plan on pulling much except hauling a 4 wheeler in bed. So I guess I will go with gas. Thanks.
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you plan to lift with bigger rims and tires? If so look at regearin to give the stock some off the line get up and go
Old January 18th, 2012, 4:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duramax engine with the Allison transmission adds about 800 lbs. over the gas engine and the suspension has to deal with this weight as well as the unsprung weight of whatever rims and tires you put on the truck.

The combination of larger and heavier tires and lifting the truck is going to lower your gas mileage by 20%. Trucks are already pretty much a brick moving through the air and raising them adds to the turbulence under the truck and drag - which is why air dams are added to vehicles including 4WD trucks.

Something to be aware of is that the 2007 trucks came in two versions with the ones that used 2006 components called the "Classic" and the non-classic 2007 trucks have the upgraded 2007-2009 components.
Old April 25th, 2013, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

On lifted trucks Diesels are better because there are more aftermarket mods you can do to them to really increase the fuel mileage. As far as body lifts; stay away from them they look like crap, they squeek and they are dangerous. A suspencion Lift kit is the way to go, or you could check out readylift.com they have a great SST lift. Grille guards, Headache Racks do not harm your fuel mileage. You should check out cattlemanhd.com they have some great looking guards and racks.

Old April 26th, 2013, 11:32 PM
CF Active Member

duramax all the way. Nothing is worse than hearing how my buddies getting 22mpg in a duramax to my 13 in a gas truck. in the long run its supposed to be cheaper and last much longer. i know of a guy with around 300,000 on a 6.5