Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Warped front rotors, recurrent problem.

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2012, 10:03 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. did you do break in procedure for new rotors?

2. did you or installer clean hub underneath rotors, so that nothing is causing uneven seating?

3. Are calipers sliding easily back and for?

4. When you looked at old pads - you did, didn't you? - were both inner and outer pads worn out evenly and same thickness?

5. -Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths
Old September 5th, 2012, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Break in: I did several hard stops from slow speed , around 20 mph, and then increased speed each time, repeat. Perhaps I did not do enough?

When I replaced them last week, I did brush off the hubs, cleaned the rotors with brake klean twice to remove the light oil coating, inspected slide pins on both side to make sure they were not binding in the brackets, torqued the brake caliper mounting bracket to spindle hub (90 ft lbs), inspected brake pads and found that neither side nor inner or outer to be worn any more than the others (remember only 10k miles, they looked barely broken in). And then, torqued the wheels as mentioned previously.

The one thing I did notice tonight when taking a second closer look at the rotors, is that the right one is slightly more blue than the left. Not much, but it is noticeable with a close side by side comparison. I did not see any noticeable 'hot spots'. Heck, they are not even rusty. No squealing experienced, ever.

The second thing I noticed is that they are marked BOSCH on the inside hub facing side. This may not seem like much, but I paid $283 for two GM part number 25819670 rotors at the dealer expecting ac-delco parts to be installed, and I get BOSCH?? Did I get taken for a ride? Or what?

Question, would it be worth having the old ones (bosch) that barely have 11K miles, turned on a lathe and put them on the shelf in the shop for next time? Or trash them? I am going to save the pads.

Thanks ukrkoz. Great article, will read and take heed.

W