Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Water in the back two cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2012, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the back two cylinders?

Hey there Everyone, My neighbor has a 2006 2500hd with a 6.0 liter gas. He said that he had just shut it off, then the next time he went to start it, it was solid. He pulled the plugs, and shot out water out of the two rear cylinders, and one next to them. The local mechanic says it's a head gasket, but I couldn't figure out how both rear cylinders had water in them. It didn't make sense to me. I'm not fluent in Chevrolet engines, but I do quite a bit of work on others. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Any Help would greatly be appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2012, 4:09 AM
CF Active Member

Intake gaskets,head gaskets,cracked head's,cracked block. I think that's about all the choices.
Old January 20th, 2012, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

My guess is head gasket. The engine was 'hydro locked' or filled with water and wouldnt crank. If you try to crank it like that, you can really screw things up.I trying to picture the air/water/bolt holes in that years block but cant. I think you can have a gasket leak between both cyls and a water hole, or maybe the water to one cyl and another leak from cyl to cyl, Id have to see it. Whatever it is, you have to pull the head anyway. By the way, after letting the water out through the plug holes and replacing the plugs you may be able to get it started but DONT DO IT! Id only try that in an emergency situation out in the wild, etc.
Old January 21st, 2012, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

yup, got er apart last night, and one layer of the head gasket was cracked all the way through. looks like we got er. thanks for all the idea's guys! you rock!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default Unbelievable! My gasket just blew

This is too funny---I happened across this topic when posting about swapping rear ends and doing another truck of mine with a blown gasket and last night my 90 surburban with a 350 blew a gasket. Now I have two chevys---85 and 90, that have drivers side blown gaskets. One on a new crate motor w 70K on it and the other a Jasper built custom with 38K on it. Bad luck? Karma for a past life?

Well, time to get the overalls on and start wrenching here in the Oregon rain.