Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

What Tire Load Range

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2012, 4:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Tire Load Range

Hello again.... I have my 98 5.7 Vortec C2500 Ext cab, LB. I do Not haul anything in this truck as a daily basis. I have used it to help move my brother and his family last year, but not regular hauling or carrying, this is my daily driver to and from work. I have load range "E" on the truck now, and will be looking for a new set of tires this summer. Do I need to go back with the "E" load range tires or can I step down to "D" load range? And if so will the stability of the truck suffer? meaning will the truck sway from side to side while driving?

Thanks
Darryl
Old November 23rd, 2012, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on the suspension of the truck and the fact that it is heavy duty they call for a tire pressure which only load range E can handle. You can absolutely switch to and Lt (light truck) tire (same type used on a 1500) if you want just do not set them to the tire pressure stated in the door. The truck will probably even ride better. Set the pressure to 35 and keep a close eye on the wear. If the middle of the tire is wearing more then outside edges lower the pressure. If the outside edges are wearing more than the middle then raise the pressure. By law tire shops are not suppose to down grade the load range or speed rating called for by the manufacture so you may have a hard time getting them to sell them to you.
Old November 24th, 2012, 8:41 AM
CF Active Member

@MDTAHOE...... Thank you very much, yes the truck does ride like a rock with the E range and 80psi. Im glad that the lower range wont affect the truck in a bad way, and any additional smoother ride I can get will be a great help. I am going with Michelin LTX this spring in the D range. Thank you again so much.... You are a great help and a major problem solver for the site.....

Darryl
Old November 24th, 2012, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also try lowering your pressure to 65 all the way around. You should get a much better ride and good carrying capacity.
Old November 25th, 2012, 8:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO, the truck won't handle as well,

under large loads.

Or as well on hard curves, or the highway.

Oh, and the tires, of course, won't last as long.

Other than that, you're good to go.
Old November 25th, 2012, 1:11 PM
CF Active Member

@Therewolf....thank you for the info... I dont haul anything with the truck ... it is a daily driver and highway cruiser and maybe a weekend helper for things.
I am going to go with MDTAHOE... I feel that is the safest way, instead of just lowering the pressures... Thanks to all that have replied
Old November 26th, 2012, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be a good idea no matter which tire you run to see what the suggested min and max pressures are from the tire manufacturer.

wtxbadger