Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

What is this wire???

Old May 15th, 2010, 3:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this wire???

I recently purchased a 2006 Silverado 1500 WT extended cab 4WD. When I opened the hood there is a wire that is bolted to the hood on the driver's side directly above the master cylinder. the wire has been cut and is just hanging there. The part number is 9982. Is this some sort of old ground wire for something or is it something else. It does not seem to effect the truck, hopefully someone has one and can tell me what it is used for.
Old May 15th, 2010, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can post a pic it would make it much easier to identify. If you can throw up a pic i would be happy to help. My guess as far as the limited information goes is that i may have been from an underhood light. If the vehicle is not factory equiped alot of people will wire a socket with a standard 1157 bulb to see under the hood at night. If it is a flat braided wire then more than likely it is a ground strap but that would make no sence because grounding to the hood would be useless. Just throw up a pic for a positive ID.
The following users liked this post:
kevinkpk (June 27th, 2022)
Old May 15th, 2010, 4:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Here are some pics I just took with my phone
Attached Thumbnails What is this wire???-sspx0196.jpg   What is this wire???-sspx0197.jpg   What is this wire???-sspx0198.jpg  
Old May 15th, 2010, 4:44 PM
CF Active Member

ground strap..
The following users liked this post:
LLL (December 1st, 2021)
Old May 15th, 2010, 6:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Anyone know what the ground strap may have been for. I can see in the first pic and I confirmed by looking at the truck that there was also another wire connected to the bolt on the firewall to the left of the wire in question. The wire connector is still on the bolt but there is no wire connected to it. Any ideas on the possibilities of this wire. Like I said I got the truck used so who knows what they were using.
Old May 15th, 2010, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

From what i have dealt with in my days of mechanicin that looks exactly like the setup that myself and many others have used for an underhood light. They used to have them on most vehicles and they discontinued them just ask the owner of a 97 ish chevy pickup to take a pic of his and show you.
Old May 15th, 2010, 8:48 PM
CF Junior Member

05Z71Crew I found exactly what you are talking about at the post below. Poster says the ground cable was already there. I wonder what for?

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sho...ght=hood+light
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default wire from hood

my 2010 has the same wire
i have found that i get a hood open from the driver info center when the hood is not closed all the way
it may be a form of switch to let you know your hood is not closed all the way
Old February 24th, 2020, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this post has a bit of age on it but I was troubleshooting the mystery strap myself today. That is the ground strap for the hood... mostly used if you have an under hood light. on my '09 LT, this strap has nothing to do with the hood open DIC alert as my strap was completely disconnected from the hood and my hood alert still works fine The ground connection close to your strap where it connects to the firewall is supposed to be your main engine ground to chassis that runs a large braided strap to a point behind the drivers side valve cover (to engine block). If you don't have this big strap and your truck runs ok then someone has run another strap somewhere or your year is different from mine.
Old October 19th, 2020, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have same issue on my 200t Tahoe. Looks like a ground wire to the fire wal

[I have the same 9982 wire on my 2005 Chevy Tahoe, connected a a ground wire to the firewall but not to anything on the other end

?

QUOTE=05Z71CREW;144409]If you can post a pic it would make it much easier to identify. If you can throw up a pic i would be happy to help. My guess as far as the limited information goes is that i may have been from an underhood light. If the vehicle is not factory equiped alot of people will wire a socket with a standard 1157 bulb to see under the hood at night. If it is a flat braided wire then more than likely it is a ground strap but that would make no sence because grounding to the hood would be useless. Just throw up a pic for a positive ID.[/QUOTE]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this wire???