Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

What's wrong with my shocks?

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2012, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my shocks?

I have a 2008 Chevy silverado LT. Stock suspention. The past couple of months I have noticed a crunching sounds coming from my front in. I am suspecting it is my shocks. I have such as a speed bump no clue to as what this could be. It happens everytime I go over a large bump. I am scared that when I'm driving my front in is going to fall off or something. Any ideas? Should I be worried?
Old December 12th, 2012, 7:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2004 Silverado was doing that - and it felt a bit "spongy" in the handling department. I put new {Monroe?} shocks on it last February when it had about 95,000 miles on it. I believe that it was money well spent.

It does not ride as stiff as I would like, but it got rid of the noise and the handling improved a bit over the OEM shocks that were on the truck. My left-front shock was totally shot!

My four new shocks were about $110 at Advance Auto. They are better than OEM, but probably not as good as Bilstein or some other high-zoot brand. My truck is 2wd, by the way, and now has 107,000 miles on it.
Old December 12th, 2012, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles on the truck? Try to get a couple people to bounce on it while it sits still to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. In colder months sometimes rubber will make noise. It is possible that it is coming from the sway bar to frame bushings. That would be a simple cheap fix. Remove the bushings put rubber safe grease between the bar and bushing the re assemble.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DPearson03
I have a 2008 Chevy silverado LT. Stock suspention. The past couple of months I have noticed a crunching sounds coming from my front in. I am suspecting it is my shocks. I have such as a speed bump no clue to as what this could be. It happens everytime I go over a large bump. I am scared that when I'm driving my front in is going to fall off or something. Any ideas? Should I be worried?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> DPearson03,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your truck. This may be related to a shock related issue. Another possibility is the front strut may be experiencing a slip/stick condition. These are just suggestions and are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service