Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Won't start after warmed up and dies

Old January 14th, 2012, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Won't start after warmed up and dies

Hey all, new here. I have a 96 K2500 6.5L 4x4 with 261k on it. I am having an issue with it not starting and sometimes dying after it has warmed up. It will always start when it is cold or after it sits and cools off. Sometimes it will start after being warmed up but not always. It also has a tendency to die mostly after being warmed up but sometimes when cold as well.

It started dying and idling rough so I changed the fuel filter but it doesn't seem to matter. Actually it had an issue of not starting after I changed it. There is no air in the fuel lines. I have heard that the PMD (?) could be overheating or that it could be the catalytic converter. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance.
Old January 15th, 2012, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone?
Old January 15th, 2012, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

how about the fuel pump? has that ever been changed out?
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

Not since I have had it. That was one thought I had. Thanks.
Old January 21st, 2012, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Engine coolant temperature sensor is bad (ETC)
Old January 22nd, 2012, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

I would change the sensor 1st because that's cheaper and a lot easier, but it sounds like your pump. If you do change the pump make sure they change the wiring harness.The old style that you have has been known to burn the pumps out. It took me three pumps in five years to figure it out, and no, Chevy doesn't consider it a defect, go figure.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Pump is working fine. However today after sitting for an hour and a half it didn't want to start. Tried twice and nothing. Let it set for 30 secs to a min and it started. Ran a couple more errands while leaving it running, came home, shut it off, and it started right back up again. I don't frickin get it?
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
CF Beginner

I had the similar thing happen to my truck a winter ago when i first bought it. It was acting just like that. every once and a while it would start fine and sometimes it wouldn't start for a minute. My girlfriend ended up buying a new battery for the truck when i told her not to cause she thought it was the battery one night when she was using it. The truck though finally ended up just not starting. i assumed it was just the pump so i replaced it. .. long story short short, check the fuel pump relay. coulda saved me some money and time but i was so pissed and cold lol.

Last edited by thonyyang; January 23rd, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

I will check into that, thanks! The cheaper the better! lol
Old January 23rd, 2012, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

I put a new relay in today. It had been running for about an hour and a half (didn't want to shut it off lol) got home swapped em out and started right up. However it only did that when it felt like it. We will see if that did it eventually! Thanks and I will update when/if it happens again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't start after warmed up and dies