Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'08 silverado service Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 silverado service Engine Light

I have just bought an '08 Silverado Reg cab 4x4 with the 4.8 engine. I have a whopping 48 miles on the truck now, and as i was pulling into the driveway the service engine light came on and the fuel gauge went to empty. I checked the fuel cap and drove it again and still on. any thoughts?
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: '08 silverado service Engine Light

Well I'll tell ya this, these trucks don't get that great gas mileage. lol
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh and as far for any thoughts, check the oil level. I was toldall 08 trucks have an oil issue either having to do with a wrong dipstick and wrong tube. Don't know if that could cause the engine lightbut its a thought.
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

ha, ya i knew gas milage was not good, but did not expect it to be in the negative!!! ill just take it back tmro and let them look at it!!!
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah good idea, they'll check it out for ya,its a brand new truck.I just bought mine about two weeks ago I think..going on 3 weeks I believe and I have 1100 miles lol. Mine is a 2wd though and crew cab with the 5.3. It's getting aound 18-20mpg when I'm taking it ez. Not too bad. All freeway though. Goodluck with the issue, hopefully its small, let us know how it goes.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mmjsport

Yeah good idea, they'll check it out for ya,its a brand new truck.I just bought mine about two weeks ago I think..going on 3 weeks I believe and I have 1100 miles lol. Mine is a 2wd though and crew cab with the 5.3. It's getting aound 18-20mpg when I'm taking it ez. Not too bad. All freeway though. Goodluck with the issue, hopefully its small, let us know how it goes.
the worst milage you will ever get is when your truck is new. the more you drive the better it will get, and do not baby it on the highway, get it up in the RPMs a bit and get it over 80-90mph for short stretches, it will help break in your engine.

The best I have seen so far is the Escalade we got off the truck and got as far as the corner of our building beforethe 6.2 packed it in.