Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'09 Silverado AFM Lifter Replacement ????'s

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2014, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Silverado AFM Lifter Replacement ????'s

Hey guys, been lurking for sometime but need some guidence with what too do about my truck. Bought it used with 62,000 miles on it, 1 owner and have had it for just about 1 year so far. 5.3 with AFM. I have had 0 problems till about 2 weeks ago I noticed 15 seconds of 'ticking' on first start up that would go away quickly. Well I knew something was wrong and then noticed my oil pressure gauge would be going up and down very severely. Took it in to my dealer, still under factory power train for another month or so and I also bought a 3 yr/ 36,000 mile bumber to bumer extended warranty when I bought truck. Truck has 75,000 miles as of now.

After some internet research it seems to be the lifters from AFM. Dealer says it was low on oil/ asked when I changed last which was about 1 month ago. Oil Life guage was as 48% when I took it in. So they do thet repair and it was all covered under my Factory power train warranty. I have uploaded the paper work showing what they did. Truck is running great now and I purchased/installed a "Range AFM Disabler". Works great so far and has turned off my AFM. I feel pretty comfortable now b/c I still have about 2 years of warranty left but not sure what I should when it gets close to expiring.

If I keep my AFM disabled for the next 2 years and it does not burn any more oil should I just keep the truck or try to trade it in for a something else and get another warranty? I was hoping to get atleast 150,000 miles out of this truck.

I really love my truck, I can really notice a difference too with AFM turned off with performance. Epseically when going around a turn and accelerating, that short lag is gone, just power.

I'm just afriad that more damage might have already been done in the first 75,000 miles or from what they have replaced taken care of any damage the AFM would of done?

Sorry if this is long winded. Other than this issue, I love my truck and its been great.

Name:  truck2_zpsa1de2624.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  truck1_zps1ded4b12.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  58.5 KB