Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 Silverado running poorly

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2008, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Silverado running poorly

2000 Silverado z71 ext cab
5.3 170000 miles

[blockquote]Problem started with the truck idling rough every now and then. It would start up and idle and bounce between 400 and 800 rpms then stall out. Periodically while highway driving it would feel like it hit a flat spot but would pull out of it. a few times while driving it would lose all power and when i tried to accelerate it would start to bog down until i let off and once died an wouldt start for a few hours. Since then ive put new plugs and wires and a fuel filter. When i replaced the fuel filter it seemed to help the idling problem but dint fix it. But now its so bad i cant drive the truck because when you give it gas it will start to accelerate then start to bog down. it does the same thing in neutral but if you very slowly give it more gas it does fine. Ive checked and all cylinders are getting a good spark but i dont really know where to start beyond that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
[/blockquote]
Old February 27th, 2008, 5:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Silverado running poorly

Since you have already checked the fuel filter, it may be the pump. Might start with a pressure check on the fuel system.
Old February 27th, 2008, 7:05 PM
CF Active Member

try cleaning the iac
Old February 27th, 2008, 9:15 PM
CF Active Member

Its probably a sensor dealing with the throttle body, like the iac or tps. won't be the fuel pump, pumps don't slowly go out, no electrical issue slowly goes bad. Hopefully it's a simple issue like sensor is giving false readings to the computer. Another thing is, could be a fuel injector going bad or is getting plugged up. I had a camaro that did that and it doesn't give you an engine code, you could try (while vehicle is running) unplugging an injector one at a time, thats how I figured out which one was bad.
Old February 27th, 2008, 9:19 PM
CF Active Member

do u have a k & n filter on there?
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

no it just stock
Old February 28th, 2008, 2:06 AM
CF Active Member

is it clean? did u clean the iac?
Old February 28th, 2008, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Cleaned the iac but didnt make a difference and the air filter is only a couple months old. Another thing is when i crank the truck up and it starts to bog down and sputter and i would tap on the gas a few times to get keep it from dying and it would sputter for a few more seconds then rev up like it was already loaded up with fuel but just not firing but i dont know if that means its in the ignition or not.
Old February 28th, 2008, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

it also threw a code today that was p0200 which is fuel injector control circuit, incorrect voltage
Old February 28th, 2008, 9:59 PM
CF Active Member

It's probably going to be a bad injector, or could possibly be the actual computer is going bad and putting out wrong signals. You need to get an ohm meter and check the resistance across your injectors and just for the hell of it your sensors dealing with the throttle body. Theres a manual that advance auto parts or someplace like that sells that tells you all of the correct ohms the meter should read across the sensors. It has all the info you could need to turn every bolt on the truck. Did thisentire problem just all of the sudden occur, or did it happen after a repair or tune-up? And you said that it progressivly got worse right?

Quick Reply: 2000 Silverado running poorly