Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2014 Silverado Engine Knock in Morning

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2014, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Silverado Engine Knock in Morning

<hr size="1" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);"><!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> My new truck has about 300 miles on it and I do love it but on the first start of the day or if its been sitting a long time it sounds like a ford after a oil change. Yes, that's right engine knocks only in the morning or after sitting a long time. The only way you can hear it is if you remote start the truck while standing outside. I thought I heard something one morning but wasn't sure. I tried to listen from inside but its just to quite inside and its happens so fast I couldn't hear it all the well at first I was thinking starter noise or flywheel. So off to the dealer on Tuesday morning to see what they say, maybe there is a TSB. Maybe call them and have a flatbed bring it there so they can hear it on the first start of the day.
Old April 5th, 2014, 9:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Mine has a little ping/tick there as well. I don't think it's a valve/lifter though. Almost like a very small exhaust leak. Maybe it's just a normal exhaust noise. I want to go to a dealer and have them remote start another identical new one side by side to compare it with.
Old April 5th, 2014, 9:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey CCLB4X4Dually,

I’m sorry to hear of this problem with your Silverado. I understand that you are taking your vehicle to the dealership on Tuesday. Please let us know if you would like for us to reach out to the dealership on your behalf and work alongside them for this concern. If interested, please provide your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership. I hope to hear from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 6th, 2014, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

I'm really not sure what it is at this point but I am going to make sure it's documented, it only happens on the first start of the day.
Old April 12th, 2014, 6:09 AM
CF Beginner

Went to dealer and ask my salesman if he had another pick up with a 5.3 in stock and he did and the first start of the day it made the same noise. Well all this means is that this truck needs a extended warranty to cover it until paid. So far I love this truck, yesterday was all highway driving was getting 21.8 MPG
Old April 29th, 2014, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by CCLB4X4Dually
Went to dealer and ask my salesman if he had another pick up with a 5.3 in stock and he did and the first start of the day it made the same noise. Well all this means is that this truck needs a extended warranty to cover it until paid. So far I love this truck, yesterday was all highway driving was getting 21.8 MPG

I did the very same thing because I was and still am concerned with my 5.3 engine noise. Sounds like a sewing machine (click-clack kind of noise) I'm wondering if it's because of the direct injection in the cylinders that causes the noise?

Seems to me a new engine should be quiet...no?

Last edited by Algonkin; April 29th, 2014 at 2:41 PM.
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

I test drove 5 different trucks and they all made the same noise. I believe it's just a normal noise caused by the valve train and direct injection.
Old April 30th, 2014, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2004 with 116,000 miles on it does this when I start it (as it only gets driven once or twice a week). I had asked a "Chevy Pro" about it and his answer was, "Your engine has pushrods in it." LOL!

I would make sure that it is 'documented' and that your dealership has it I their computer somewhere -- but otherwise would not worry about it.
Old April 30th, 2014, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

You could consider using the BG MOA products that give you a lifetime warranty for items serviced by the additive....

Lifetime BG Protection Plan