Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2014 Silverado - Low Battery Voltage?

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2014, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently called the sales person I bought the truck from (it was from another dealership) they said chevy knows about the problem. They do not have a fix for it yet. They also said it is definately not the battery or alternator causing the problem. Also they said if I keep trying it will eventualy start.
But for now there is no fix for it.

Originally Posted by mdavew
no problem.... i also just saw this was a brand new truck. might not be the issue but who knows with the way they roll them off the assembly these days. plus if you just got it, it should technically be under warranty right?
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Day 3 in the shop. Still no answers. It will be there all weekend for sure.
I caled gm and the people I talk to have been taking lots of calls just like mine. So far gm has not recognized this being a problem.

Originally Posted by jeromy
I recently called the sales person I bought the truck from (it was from another dealership) they said chevy knows about the problem. They do not have a fix for it yet. They also said it is definately not the battery or alternator causing the problem. Also they said if I keep trying it will eventualy start.
But for now there is no fix for it.
Old January 31st, 2014, 7:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

a bad crankshaft position sensor would cause a no start but not a no crank condition.
Old February 4th, 2014, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Alternator
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:31 AM
CF Beginner

On another forum possible solutions are replacing the starter for the moisture issue and there is a flapper in the exhaust near the right rear tire that sticks or freezes shut. It can be opened by banging on it with a hammer and twisting the **** until it is free to open. Obviously, these are some workarounds that have had some success. A few owners wires or welded the flapper open. Good luck. I have also heard the GM does know about the issue.
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckl1218
On another forum possible solutions are replacing the starter for the moisture issue and there is a flapper in the exhaust near the right rear tire that sticks or freezes shut. It can be opened by banging on it with a hammer and twisting the **** until it is free to open. Obviously, these are some workarounds that have had some success. A few owners wires or welded the flapper open. Good luck. I have also heard the GM does know about the issue.
I have heard a story or two about the flaky starters and moisture. The flapper you refer to, are you referring to an exhaust wastegate? I would think the vehicle would start but run very poorly if that were the issue, and I think that mostly applies to diesel turbo charged vehicles.
Old February 7th, 2014, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

I don't know what it is called, but there is a spring loaded valve (flapper) in the exhaust for the 2014 Silverado and Sierra 5.3L. It is located just back of the big muffler near the rear wheel - you can see it if you look at the pipe through the rear wheel housing. It has been referred to as a flapper that has something to do with the sound as the engine switches between V4 and V8 (Active Fuel Management). Anyway, when the valve freezes shut, it will either not start at all or start briefly and quit. Temp remedies have been hitting with a hammer or fist, while more perm remedies are wiring it open, welding it open or removing it altogether with exhaust mod. No remedy from GM yet that I know of. For more info, there are a lot of threads in GM-Trucks.com.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 14 silverado, and next day after being home very cold temps would not start. Just a click. Same thing w center display showing/on. Took to dealer today and there is a TSB re cold starts. Have appt wed., will update when I can. Had to jump it a few times this weekend. Quite annoying and embarrassing on a 39K vehicle.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 9:29 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Jwkemtrn,

Sorry to learn of this inconvenience with your new vehicle. Please keep us posted on your visit this coming Wednesday. If you would like for us to reach out to your dealership on your behalf, please private message us your VIN, dealership name and contact information.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 10th, 2014, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 silerado ltz

I have had the same problem wit mine and also yesterday when I started my truck the my link screen went black shut truck off 2 times and the screen came back on had the truck 2 weeks 310 miles

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado - Low Battery Voltage?