Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4wd issues

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2008, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd issues

So, my dad recently bought an 07 3500 diesel, and when he bought it, the previous owner had the problem on two occasions and my dad has had the problem several and he bought it less than a month ago.

When he shifts it into 4wd, or turns the **** I should say... ( I hate electronically controlled things btw) all of his gauges shoot through the roof and then the truck dies.

He has taken it to the dealership about 6 times now... because it is still under warranty and they are customers of his business, and they are just throwing parts at it.

They were saying things like pcm... exhaust particulate sensor... ect. They seem to be barking up the wrong tree, because... if it were the pcm other problems would be occurring. One side on a pcm usually doesn't go bad. Or if this problem has been going on for a month the thing would have been fried by now.

The EPS was bad, however that shouldn't cause the problem to occur, they aren't listening to my dad. However, I basically went and did the tech's work for them and found tsb 10017299 which is... "T-Case unable to complete shift" is this a good place to start, because personally if that doesn't help, then I am going to get a diagram and start tracing wires myself and telling them what to fix.

That is where I am at, does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

Old December 31st, 2008, 3:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 4wd issues

My advice would be compare the cost of fixing the electronic doo-dad(no pun,sorry) with a manual transfer case selector. I don't see too many people complaining that their manual selectors don't work.
Old December 31st, 2008, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4wd issues

well, if it is under warranty... then the cost of 0 to the cost of 300-400 for a decent manual transfer case is pretty much self explanitory. Also figured out that the loom had been rubbed through and the wire was shorted through. They put in a new one... and dad drove it home in 4wd without any problems