Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

87 chevy silverado V10

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2008, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 chevy silverado V10

i bought the truck off my roommate. he knew nothing of its past. the truck is originally with a 305, but whoever, swapped it with a 350.did a complete overhaul of the engine, put in a melling torque cam, proform coil, and its overhauled .05". other than that, the engine is stock, with exception to the headers, and dual exhaust. i had to replace the wiring harness, and the ecm, because the system was fried( power wires were burnt, ecm conection was burnt).

my original problem with the truck was that off the line, driving it normal, there would be a hesitation, that would be corrected by giving it gas.i removed the air conditioningand the cruise control, andcircumvented thevacuum connections. the repair shop said that they were fine the way they were, so i've eliminated that preticular aspect of the vacuums as a problem. but pondering the throttle body..?i put in a bottle of big K 44, it blew out a lot of carbon, which is surprising since the complete engine was cleaned out, with exception to the injectors/throttle body. theinjectors seemfine, but i'm not so sure the vacuums are working properlyfrom the throttle body.i drove the truck for a while, and never really noticed any problems but the hesitation. the fuel mileage was to be desired, but not horrible.

had to replace the distributor because it was leaking oil from the bearings under the cap. once i did that, the hesitation was fixed, but now the truck has a horrible idle, and the fuel mileage is ridiculous. seemed like the most recent problems occured once the oil problem started. i thought it was just the ignition module since it was covered with oil, but the problem persisted after replacement of the distributor. the ecm that was in the truck had a superchip in it, and the chip was from the original 'fried' ecm that i had to replace when i did the overhaul. so iexchanged theecm with another that i got from the wreckers that hasthe factory chip. i reset the timing again, but the problem is still there. it seems like that once the truck warms up, thats when the rough idle occurs. i have a hard time keeping the thing running, like its flooding out or something, even when im driving down the road, and let off the gas. icould imagine thatit is flooding, since the fuel mileage is terrible...

the last time i hooked up my scan tool, the engine died once i accessed the data list from the ecm. got the truck running again, while it was still connected to see the data. ive noticing that the oxygen sensor isnt closing, but i replace the sensor because that was happening before when i first got the truck running. the loop closes, just not within the2 minutes it should. that didnt change when i replace the oxygen sensor. so i knew i just wasted my money there...

i'm guessing that maybe a relay, or what?????? the problem cant be with the ecm, since i swapped it with another, but the problem is still there. i'm also wondering if that there are specific ecm's.. the one that my truck takes is the 1227747 model. i could only imagine that the diffence would be the chip from a 305 to a 350. i have no idea, i'm just throwing things out there..

need any more info, just ask. if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated!!