Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 Chevy pickup stock rims issue

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2010, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Chevy pickup stock rims issue

So i recently purchased a 97 Chevy pickup that 18" Chrome rims (not the best looking rims in my opinion)

Well I bought some 97 chevy suburban OEM rims with meety tires I wanted to put on the truck. After doing couple of hours of research, i was told by a salvage yard that these would work.

They fit perfect on the rear end with the drum brakes, but the front it wouldnt clear the top of the Spindle i wanna called it. The piece right behind the Disc Caliper, and up a little, i'm not sure what exactly thats called, i was told its a spindle I could be wrong.

Any ideas what the hell is going on here?

Thanks!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

what is everyones thoughts on using wheel spacers? I think that will fix my issue in the front, I have them in the back (previous owner put them on there)
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by co_chevy
what is everyones thoughts on using wheel spacers? I think that will fix my issue in the front, I have them in the back (previous owner put them on there)
wheel spacers are a big noooooooooo...IF you want to go offroading with it.. they will break.. for street use..i dont see why you wouldnt use them.. but for offroad..i'v heard some horrior storys.. also what size are the rims that you got? im not sure if they changed them between 1995 and 1997(doubt it) but i do have 15"s on mine and i have the 16" stock rims that was on befor
Old September 22nd, 2010, 8:22 PM
CF Junior Member

stock size for 97 c1500 is 235/75/15. if this helps any.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Took all the wheels off and threw it up on jack stands last night, began to look at what the hell was going on. Noticed it had spacers on the rear, well what i thought were spacers. They are actually adapter plates that go 5 lug to 6 lug, apparently the previous owner didn't want to take the time to find a 6 bolt rear axle that would work. Now the fronts he took the spindles from what I would believe are a newerish 1500 because the spindles are pretty much jammed in there, They work and everything, but you can tell in certain places they are not the original, which is how i now have 6 lug in the front.

So all in all looks like this winter im going to be looking for some 96 5 lug spindles, to replace mine with.
Old September 24th, 2010, 9:49 PM
CF Junior Member

try calling up some truck junkyards. autozone has a coil spring compressor u can rent. but be sure to check the threads on it. its not hard to change the spindles out unless the coil spring compressor have a boogered thread. good luck.