Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

98 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2015, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me

I have a problem with my truck I have a 98Chevy 1500 and its a 2wd I been doing some front end work on her I took it to a mechanic shop that charge me $200 just to do the ball joints on the passenger side then he said that he could totally fix the ball joints because I need a spindle then he said I need front CV joints.. Here is the aggravating part the part store said I don't have cv joints its only on 4wd and the mechanic keep saying I need a spindle for ball joints and the part store saying they have no clue on what he talking about I'm just lost out of 200 dollars and a half fix ball joints my truck has over 300,000 miles and it has a tapping to i was told from mechanic it was bad lifters and napa said it could be valves or rod tapping.. I have put in a new trans, fuel pump , fly wheel, starter, alternator, radiator, brake shoes, brake pads, crank shaft sensor, wheel bearings and seals, wheel cylinders, U joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, idler pitman arms, battery, and new spark plugs and wires all was brought brand new Napa auto parts has a fair share of my pay checks every pay period please help if you can I'm really ready to give up

Last edited by shoeshoe; May 16th, 2015 at 9:12 AM. Reason: need to add information
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

300,000 miles is a lot of miles. Things wear out, this is normal. CV joints are for 4 wheel drive trucks. You may need a spindle or you may just need bearings, the only way to tell is to examine the old ones.
Old May 16th, 2015, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spindle

Ok where can I find a spindle at