Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AMP Recommendation for 05 2500

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2012, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMP Recommendation for 05 2500

Im about to put 2 Kicker L3's behind my seats but before i do i wanna know what amp i should get because i dont know how much a stock radio can handle. I really wanna keep it stock so i dont loose the steering wheel controls and also the one i have now is in perfect condition. I have the BOSE sound system if that changes anything. So, if yall would, let me know if there is a limit as to how much the stock head unit can handle. If there is, what is it.

Thanks
Old November 14th, 2012, 7:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Well bud really with any subs, your going to have to put an after market head unit. You need to see if you have an input on the stock head unit for the cables from the after market amp. The stock amp might push those subs but they will not be hitting any where close to what they are supposed to. First and for most before you go any further, you need either find a picture/diagram of the back of your stock head unit and see if you can even hook up an extra amp up to it because you still need to have the stock amp for the door speakers, but that one amp wont push those subs probably barely at all.

So figure out if you need to get a new head unit( you probably will ) and with the aftermarket headunit you have to buy a plug in for the aftermarket head unit that will make all your controls on the steering wheel still work. I think they cost about $100 so how much are those controls worth to you. And then after you buy that you need to buy an amp for the subs.

I know I just kind of rained on your parade a little bit there, but that is what you are going to have to buy to get those subs bumping and good sound. Keep your fingers crossed that you have an extra input on your stock head unit and all you will have to get is an amp for the subs and not a headunit and the plug in to make the controls work.
Old November 14th, 2012, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the information, it was really helpful. One of my buddies has the exact same truck except mines HD and his isn't and he has 2 Kickers L3's hooked up to his stock Head Unit and they hit pretty hard. So im not sure if i will have to get an aftermarket unit. It would save me a lot of money and i like to leave it as stock as possible. I think i'll take it too my local audio shop and see what they have to say. But, like i said, thanks for all your help.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM
CF Senior Member

Not a problem man, let us know how they come out