Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

CHEV Fan Motors

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2007, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHEV Fan Motors

Hey, I am from Alberta Canada where we just started to get some cold weather. It is the first winter that I've had my truck and it seems that the fan motor does not blow very hard to defrost the windows or to just vent warm air.It seems to take a long timeto defrost the widows.Is this a common problem? can you upgrade the fan, or is there a possibility of blockage in the vents? Any help would be great!!!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: CHEV Fan Motors

[hr]What year is your truck? I believe 1998 and newer models have a cabin air filter in them. If so, check it, it may be dirty or clogged. As to it's location, and I'am not sure of this, look under the glove box. There you should find the kick panel/box - 4 screws to remove and two filters - one large - one small. Note: I beleive thats were their located?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 2:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey, I am from Alberta, Canada too, its pretty chilly eh? Where you at?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Ya, its getting pretty chilly, and is supposed to stay for a while i guess. I am from just north of Red Deer. As you probly know, a truck that will not thaw the windows is a real pain. My truck is an 01. Do you think it has some sort of filter in it as well? Any other ideas would be great. thanks guys!!!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 1:02 PM
CF Junior Member

I would definetly look for some sort of air filter. I am not too sure other than that? I remember in my moms 86 impala, we replaced the fan blades with sometingh bigger, and that thing would warm up in about 2 minutes. I dont think thats the problem though. Best of luck! Oh, I am from Grande Prairie, and the snow just keeps falling.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

hey, i did some research, and apparently, there is at least one, maybe 2 cabin air filters in my 2001 chev 1500HD.I think this may be the problem. Now, I just have to find it, (or them). Any insight on where these may be located? I think they are under the dash, butI dont know how easy they will be to get to. Thanks for your help!!!
Old December 4th, 2007, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

Hope you find the answer to your defroster problem.

Until you find the solution, you might try an old trick my Dad would use. Put your sun visors in the down position, which helps circulate the warm air around the windshield and defog/thaw faster.
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Hey, now thats not a bad idea. Sometimes it helps to just think simple eh? thanks. by the way, i crawled under the dash and found 2 air filters that were quite plugged and just tore them out of there. It seems to blow a bit better now. Thank you for your help!