Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

confused over the Max towing package

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2008, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused over the Max towing package

I recently bought an 07 new body style 1500 crew cab short bed with the 6.0 Vortec engine. I assumed that the "Max" badge on the side meant that it has the Max Towing package (6.0 engine and 4 wheel disc brakes, 3.73 gear ratio), but I am wondering because the Max is suppossed to have a 7200 lb. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The label on the door says it is only 6,800 lbs. One other important fact is I have the 20" wheels.

Does anyone know what tow rating I have? Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: confused over the Max towing package

I doubt it, because my '08 vortecmax says 7,300. And i think you would have 4.10 gears if you had the max trailering package. I think most of the VortecMax package trucks they make usually include the max trailering package, but it seems as though you got one of the few exceptions.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 3:34 PM
CF Active Member

I just typed out a long *** response and then my computer froze. Basically, the MAX badge only refers to the 6.0 Vortec MAX engine. You can have a 1500 CC with the MAX 6.0 with 3.73 gears WITHOUT the MAX trailering package, as thats an option. Look on your invoice see if you specified a MAX trailering package. The MAX Trailering package comes with the 6.0 L MAX engine, not the other way around. 20'sprovides no info as far as what your truck is supposed to be,as 20's are an option for all models, CC 6.0 MAX Trailering package comes standard with 17's.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 3:43 PM
Super Moderator

ckeysor, welcome to the forum!!!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

so to bring all this to a conclusion, you do not have the max trailering package.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you all for the replys and additional information. Unfortunately this is still confusing to me for the following reasons:

1-According to the Silverado brochure theMax trailering package for the 2wd only has a 3.73 gear ratio (which I have);
2-The only time the brochure shows the rear disc brakes as an option for the 1500 is when you get the max trailer package yet there is no where on my sticker where it shows the discs as an option.
3-Maybe a coincidence but none of the 4 6.0 trucks I looked at had the Max Trailer package as an option, so I was wondering if there was something different when you bought the LTZ package.

The reason I threw the 20" wheels into the original mix is because I was wondering if I had all the other features (the only thing I am not sure about is the upgraded 9.5" axle) and the 20" wheels some how negated everything due to a rating or because of the loss of torque.

As you can tell, I have been through all the information but don't have the true technical background to figure this out. What I am really trying to get at is if I want to make my truck a more efficient towing vehicle (I have a 25" Airstream weighing around 6,000 lbs.) should I dump the 20"ers or lower my gear ratio to 4.1.

I drive around 55mph and don't really get into the power band in 3rd or 4th gear, which I understand to be between 2,500 and 2,800 rpm. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris
Old May 3rd, 2008, 8:25 PM
CF Active Member

The Max trailering packagae includes this: MAX TRAILERING PACK,
includes (L76) Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine, (G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, (Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package, (AXN) 9.5" (24.1 cm) hybrid rear axle, (N56) 4-17" x 7.5" (43.2 cm x 19.1 cm) 6-lug custom aluminum wheels, (T96) fog lamps, (JD9) front and rear disc brakes and (Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment
Manufacturer Code: NHT

If you buy the 6.0 Vortex Max engine with the Stabilatrak you get four wheel disc brakes. If you buy the 6.0 without it you get rear drum brakes.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Old Coot.

Let me go through what I know I have because there are some conflicts. I have both the sticker as well as the dealer "ireport".

includes (L76) Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI engine--Yes
(G80) heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential--I have code G80, but it does not denote Heavy-Duty; Interestingly the sticker says my transmission is "supper duty"
(Z85) Handling/Trailering Suspension Package--I have Z60; the sticker says High performance suspension
(AXN) 9.5" (24.1 cm) hybrid rear axle--Not listed (what does this do?)
(N56) 4-17" x 7.5" (43.2 cm x 19.1 cm) 6-lug custom aluminum wheels--I have the 20" wheels, do you know are they rated for less weight?
(T96) fog lamps--On Ilocate report, but not mentioned on sticker at all
(JD9) front and rear disc brakes--yes I have them but they are not on the sticker or the ireport. This baffles me.
(Z82) heavy-duty trailering equipment--Yes
Manufacturer Code: NHT

Thank you for listing all that out it was helpful.I have a couple of additional questions I would like some direction on, please!

-Is there any way to tell whether I have the AXN 9.5" axle?
-What does the AXN Axle do?
-Are the 20" wheels rated for lower weight or is it just a torque issue?
-Is it difficult to convert to a 4.1 ratio so I am in my power zone?
Old May 3rd, 2008, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

This is a weird situation, but if it makes you feel any better, that truck without the max trailering package should pull that airstream no problem. My dad was pulling a 6,500 lb. camper with a 2003 Z71 1500 w/ the 5.3 with relatively no problem. But i would think if you had the max trailering package it would say it clearly on your sticker, i know mine does. It says exactly:
MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE
Vortec 6.0L V8
4-Speed heavy duty auto trans
17" Custom Aluminum wheels
towing package
locking rear differential
heavy duty trailering axle
front/rear disc brakes

And i think if you did have it without a doubt your truck would say
GVW Rating- 7,300 lbs.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

From everyone's replies it is clear now that I don't have the package. Of course it is ironic that I only bought the 6.0 litre to get the towing package as I might up-size my airstream one day.

Just venting but I still don't understand why my "super duty" transmission is not as good as a heavy duty or why Stabilitrak is not even listed in the brochure or the sticker.

Oh well, I love my truck just the same and it seems very capable.

Can anyone shed light on any issues with the 20" wheels (weight rating wise) or whether I should convert to a 4.1 ratio (and any preferred brands? Both of these issues relate to my new discovery of the power band of the engine. When I leave it in third gear (2,200 rpm)my towing MPG picks up 2 mpg (12.5 mpg on the flats and 11.5 in the mountains).

Quick Reply: confused over the Max towing package