Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

confused over the Max towing package

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: confused over the Max towing package

hey pathfiners tow, i dont understand why your blaming chevy for the decision you made? It was just a case of a dealer just being a dealer, a lieing uneducated moron. And also, i challenge you to find a Ford half-ton, with as much power as a VortecMax. I drive Ford trucks everyday at work and i absolutely hate it, i dont understand why any one would invest in such crap, but i guess to each his own. I'll just keep on loving my VortecMax.
Old May 7th, 2008, 3:30 PM
CF Active Member

pathfinderstow, I have to ask, why would you go back to ford if you said the 06 you had was a piece of crap? Your faith has been restored? Maybe try a dodge? Also, if you're worried about gas mileage/price maybe you shouldn't havebought a truck? I understand that there are truck people and car people, but my guess is that either your terrain, set up or driving styleis what is causing your gas mileage? I'm a terrible lead footed driver who drives predominantly in the city, and my mileage has never dipped below 15, its constantly at 16-16.5 and I have no mods at all. Also, every dealer I've been at try to bleed you dry, they wanted me to pay $250 for "custom pinstriping" (that cheap $3 vinyl crap) a $645 "high gloss wash and detail" which is basically 2 20 yr old kids who wipe the truck down with armor all and a wet rag, (and I then had to clean the excess armor all off the sides of my truck that got flung up off of the tire...which I didnt pay for or want) and an extra $350 for a $60 bed liner. You can't blame the entire company for the people the *franchise owner's* hire.
Old May 7th, 2008, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Blazer88: Before you take me to task for making coments and expressing my opinon on this forum you really need to go back andread my two posts. First off I'm not blaming anyone except myself for being talked into buying a vehicle I truly didn't need,can't use and don't want. I own the decision to buy the truck in question. I've said in both posts that we live and learn from our mistakes in life. I made a mistake, freely admit to it and will live with it.

I called no one a lier or a moron, except maybemyself for buying the vehicle in question. I've owned Ford trucks for years and never had a bad one until I purchased the 05 Ford F-150 in 06. I was working disaster reilef and needed a pickup truck quick as my FordF-250 diesel was in the shop for repairs.

The F-150 was a bait and switch vehilce that I purchased; nothing down, paymentsbetter than renting or leasingwhilemy other truck was in the shop waiting parts for the repair. I soon found out that the F-150 with small enging and AT was not the vehicle I thought it was, no power, no mileage and rode like a kitchen chair on the Interstates. Thus, when I was done with it I sold it. After I sold it I discovered that there are times when I need a pickup, so for my birthday I purchased the Silverado.

You say you drive Fords everyday and they are a piece of crap. I've driven Ford cars and trucks since the 1950s and never had a probelm withany of them until the 05 F-150. Some of us are Ford people and some are Chevy people. Each to his/her own.

So, instead of attacking me for comments I made on the site and opnions expressed about a Chevorlet truck I purchased know what you aretalking about; insteadof spewing venom.
Old May 7th, 2008, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

AX7221: I didn't say I would go back to a Ford. The Ford F-150 was not the vehilce I thougth it was and sold it after I was finished with it. I'd sold the Ford F-250 to a son-in-law earlier in 07, thus I was without a PU. I found that I needed one from time to time and seemed to find that when I needed a PU was the same time others needed theirs. I treated myself to a birthday present and bought the Silverado. I'd heard much about the Silverado from others. I thought I could use a 1500 CC LT2. I thought the vehicle would provide good towing and comfort. My assumptions were wrong.

I have 8k miles on the vehicle and I'm told that after break in the mileage will improve. I hope so. Checked it again today with a fill up and found it is still getting an average of 14 mpg. I live in a large metropolitan area and drive on Interstates as well as city roads. I obey the speed laws, I'm not a speed exhibitionist and have a farily even foot on the pedal. When on the Interstates I use speed control.

The dealer I purchased from did not try to sell me any high gloss wash and detail. I've been treated well by the service department where I purchased the vehicle. The people who work there are only trying to make a living. Bottom line is I didn't do a proper job of researching the vehicle I purchased, especially since it was my first Chevy. I broke my rule and bought at night time. In time I'll sell it or trade it in and probablypurchase another truck. I'm glad I don't have to use theSilverado as a daily driver.
Old May 8th, 2008, 7:42 AM
CF Active Member

pathfinderstow, you actually did say you would go back to ford: "Old Coot: Yes, I'm now aware of the difference you point out. A little late. The Silverado was my first and last Chevy truck. Always owned Ford trucks before and will go back to them in the future. Really nothing I like about the new Silverado. 14 MPG on the road is a pain in the pocket book too."

Either way, I don't know what to tell ya,I didn't notice any real mileage difference (maybe 0.5 mpg) and I've got about 15,000 miles on mine.
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pathfinderstow
I've driven Ford cars and trucks since the 1950s and never had a probelm withany of them until the 05 F-150.
Never had a problem till the 05 F-150????
What was your F-250 Diesel i nthe shop for?

ORIGINAL: pathfinderstow
I've owned Ford trucks for years and never had a bad one until I purchased the 05 Ford F-150 in 06. I was working disaster reilef and needed a pickup truck quick as my FordF-250 diesel was in the shop for repairs.

Old May 8th, 2008, 1:24 PM
CF Active Member

im not trying to p*ss anyone off, but why are you having trouble with towing on a Vortec Max? i drove a friend of mines 07 classic body style Vortec Max, and wish i had gotten that in my 06 instead of the 5.3. i get about 13.5-14 mpg city with the 5.3 in my 06 and he is getting roughly the same stock.

as for towing, we have towed with both trucks: an 18' car trailer with a 72 chevelle on it with a sportsman 800 on the back and a sportsman 800 atv in the bed of the truck. mine pulled it ok but his was no problem.

i would think since the new body style truck have more power and come with better gearing that they would be better towing then the classic body styles.

the smaller ford engine sucks but the 5.4 isnt bad but i dont think its any better or worse than the GM 5.3.
i dont know. i guess i just didnt understand the problem.
have a good one.
Old May 8th, 2008, 7:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Hmmmm. Hey Coot, are you sure that package comes with 17 wheels standard? I just bought a 07 2500 hd WORK TRUCK. Came with all that stuff......but 245 75 r16. I am STILL mad about this. Looks soooooo small. But I have all the stuff you mentioned 6.0, rear lock, 3.73, trailer and handling, tranny cooler, blah, blah, blah.....but only 16 tires
Old May 9th, 2008, 5:45 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: cheaperrooter

Hmmmm. Hey Coot, are you sure that package comes with 17 wheels standard? I just bought a 07 2500 hd WORK TRUCK. Came with all that stuff......but 245 75 r16. I am STILL mad about this. Looks soooooo small. But I have all the stuff you mentioned 6.0, rear lock, 3.73, trailer and handling, tranny cooler, blah, blah, blah.....but only 16 tires

That was for the 1500. The 2500 offers 17" tires as a option. Look at the NADA book, it list all options and prices.
Old May 9th, 2008, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

My LTZ, that I ordered (Canadian), included the trailering package, it was not an option and you cannot get it without. I have included my sticker and you will see the options. I wanted the LT tires so I could not order the max performance package but got basically the same thing by including the stabiltrax and Z71, my dealer helped me with that.

BTW, this is also my first Chevy ever. All Fords since 1981 and the last 4 were bought new. I think Iwill be able to give an honest opinion, not a generalized opinion, of my first Chevy. So far I love the power, Ford isn't close even with a superchips tuner.The steering gives me way more confidence and dosen't give me that loose bus driver feeling like the Ford. I only have 700 KM so far so it is a little early. I ordered the truck with the 6.0 mainly for towing my Haulmark snowmobile trailer, 7000 lbsmax but usually around 6000, 3400 lbs empty.

My Ford Gallery http://www.f150online.com/galleries/....cfm?gnum=5883

[IMG]local://upfiles/17602/BE9C2DD103AA41CE8D16FD5A999D00ED.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: confused over the Max towing package