Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

DO NOT SIGN EVERYTHING PUT IN FRONT OF YOU WHEN BUYING A NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2007, 1:32 AM
art
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO NOT SIGN EVERYTHING PUT IN FRONT OF YOU WHEN BUYING A NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a newtruck recently and the dealer runs you by the guy trying to sell you the extended warranty, paint seal, fabric protection and all the other crap that adds to the price but is way over priced and should not be purchased. After this guy gets through trying to screw you, the next guy who finalizes all the paper work tries to give you another little screw job. He will put all kinds of paper work in front of you to sign BE CAREFUL AND READ BEFORE YOU SIGN!!!! They will want you to sign all of your rights away, an example is that you agree not to sue them but will agree to arbitration in case of a dispute service related or otherwise. DO NOT SIGN THIS! Arbitration will favor the car maker and dealer and you will loose a lot of clout later on when you argue with a dealer about service issues if you signed you right to sue away, also most states have lemon laws and if you agree to arbitration, you just gave up your rights under the lemon laws. The only thing you should agree to sign is a purchase agreement stating the price of the vehicle and any other issues you want fixed on the vehicle or added to it and a odometer reading statement. If there is anything on the purchase agreement you do not agree with, cross it out. Do not let them wear you down or brow beat you into signing something you are not comfortable with. They used these tatics on me and I just politely said I wasn't signing certain things they put in front of me. The dealer said "what are you a lawyer" and I said no, I'm just not stupid and he laughed and said he gets most of the buyers to sign it but if I didn't want to it was not required. The government has given the buyer a lot of legal protections, the dealers are hell bent on taking all of these protections away, if you are stupid enough to let them....BEWARE!!!!!!!!![/align]__________________
[/align]
Old September 29th, 2007, 7:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: DO NOT SIGN EVERYTHING PUT IN FRONT OF YOU WHEN BUYING A NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

signing an arbitration agreement does NOT void your protection under the lemon law.
Old September 30th, 2007, 1:03 AM
art
CF Junior Member

Default RE: DO NOT SIGN EVERYTHING PUT IN FRONT OF YOU WHEN BUYING A NEW TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

NHSILVERADO there are 38 states with 38 different versions of the lemon laws. Signing an arbitration agreement does negate your rights under some of these states lemon laws. It's just plain stupid to sign an arbitration agreement, if you have a dispute and decide you want to use arbitration, trust me the dealer and car maker will be more than happy to oblige, so why sign an agreement limiting you to arbitration when it's not necessary??
You will have more clout and ability to negotiate with a dealer if you maintain your right to sue, why on earth would you volintarily give that up??
Old September 30th, 2007, 1:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info