Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Dry grinding noise in front in 4WD 2003 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry grinding noise in front in 4WD 2003 Silverado

Recently got the chance to test the 4WD in my 2003 Silverado. It works good, doesnt bind up or chatter, but no matter what im driving in, snow, ice, rain, or mud, my front end makes a dry grinding noise, sounds like a dried up wheel bearing. Fluids are green and good in my front diff, (fluids all flushed by dealer in July) i lifted the truck and nothing has slack, wheels feel fine, CV feels fine, my rotors are slightly warped, but thats it. Yesterday i put my truck into "auto" and passed a car on icy roads, noise isnt as loud, i then pulled over to check to see if anything was hot, and everything is cold. the noise is audible, and just annoying, its the loudest going slow, around 5-10MPH and just faint anything above that. not a single thing leaks underneath my truck, except for the output shaft seal on my passenger side front diff housing, it is a super super slow leak, but my levels stay the same. all the trucks ive worked on have this leak. im replacing it and my rotors this week. dealer of course said its "normal" but my dads 2007 silverado, neigbors 2003 suburban, and freinds 2006 silverado are really quiet.

dealer said there were a few shavings in the oil, but i expect that since it was the original oil. the new fluid is still clean and nice.

sound seems more pronounced in the front left tire while driving, and when i turn sharp in "auto" or 4HI the sound gets louder.

Oh, and when i am in 2 wheel drive my truck is SUPER quiet and noise free, sound instantly goes away when i switch to 2WD from "auto" and "4wd"

Any advice?

Last edited by 89scottsdale; November 11th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Replacing Front diff and transfercase fluids did nothing. found out front diff bearings are shot, possible transfer case bearings shot as well. I got replacement Diff and T case with 75K miles so just running it till it breaks.