Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Evolution chip... (Here we go agian)

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution chip... (Here we go agian)

Hello all, first time poster on this forum!

So as the topic title says, Evo Chip... Ive done some researching about it and found lots of great reviews on them, but not as many bad things as I would like to have found.

My main question is, whats the default into getting the Evolution programer for the 2008 1500 5.3?

To get the topic started, im already wondering what its going to do to the tranny, and the chevs new 4cyl mode and 8cyl mode thing? Im not to concerned about warrently, I know the deals with that. I did read up on how the chip does not change the tranys shift patterns, as to my knowledge that is what dealerships look for when checking. Im assuming the rear-ends and diff can handle the extra power, but am not 100% on it due to the fact I was unable to get much info (if any) on it.

Anways, any tips and even reviews about this would be a great help.

TFC Out.
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Your tranny and rearend will handle much much more than just a programmer.
I suggest not getting a programmer and finding a custom tuner. With a custom tune you will achieve much more of what you are looking for.
You will want you tranny tuned. When the pressure is increased in the tranny you will have a firmer shift which causes less slippage allowing the tranny to last longer.
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by silverado08
Your tranny and rearend will handle much much more than just a programmer.
I suggest not getting a programmer and finding a custom tuner. With a custom tune you will achieve much more of what you are looking for.
You will want you tranny tuned. When the pressure is increased in the tranny you will have a firmer shift which causes less slippage allowing the tranny to last longer.
your first statement isnt compeltely true. i believe he would still have the 4l60e in an 08, which is a weak transmission in chevy trucks. the 10 bolt rear isnt bad but if he has the G80 rear locker, it is known to blow up if beat on to much. that being said, most of my friends with 4l60's and 10bolts havent had any issues, and they are exactly gentle on them.
i agree, get a custom tune, a programmer isnt worth the money as it usually gives very little performance increase.

if you do have the 4l60e, upgrade it with a corvete servo, it will help the holding power of the 1-2 shift.

Id suggest Justin @ blackbear performance for your tune.
Old October 28th, 2009, 6:03 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tjfast55
I did read up on how the chip does not change the tranys shift patterns, as to my knowledge that is what dealerships look for when checking.

That is not what dealerships look for when checking for aftermarket software. They check the software version, if it is suspected to be aftermarket, the tech takes a snapshot with the tech2, sends it off to GM, and if it is aftermarket, bye bye warranty
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
CF Junior Member

my truck has 70000 miles on it and i drive it like i stole since i drove it off the lot with 10 miles on it. its modified quite alot and i've had no problems.
i have owned 8 other trucks with the same tranny and i've only had one to ever go out.
So yes it will handle much more than just a program
Old October 30th, 2009, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Well, you guys have gave me alot to think of, thanks for the all the help!

Im not looking for a full performance truck, all I really want is just a little bit more of a kick, due to the fact that im throwing wide 12.5 33's on it and a 3'' lift. Im guessing that a programer would do this?

I do understand what a custom tune would do, and I already have a guy that does amazing tunes, so that wouldnt really be an issue.

And as far as money for the programer goes, Im not to concerned, as long as I get a bit more of a kick, and can set my truck back to stock if it needs to go to the shop, ill be happy.