Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Front End Noise -- 2004 Silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2011, 9:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front End Noise -- 2004 Silverado 1500

I have had my '04 Silverado for a bit over a year now, and (for the most part) like the truck. Back in December, when I had it inspected, both front tie rod ends were replaced and a wheel alignment was done. Of course, it rides smoothly and tracks straight (as it should).

When I am moving very slowly and am turning, I sometimes hear a slight "crunch" sound coming from the left-front of the truck. It is not enough to be frightening, but is somewhat disconcerting. My gut feeling is that I might be in need of new shock absorbers. Does that sound reasonable?

I bought the truck with 74,000 miles and am now approaching 88,000 miles. It has a 5.3L V8, automatic overdrive transmission and is a 1500 LS with two-wheel-drive and the towing package. I am soon going to be buying a new set of tires for my truck and might possibly get them to take a look at it when it is in the service bay.

If I do end up needing new shocks, how much will a set (all four, I suppose) run for a truck like this? I'd like either OEM or perhaps something better (Monroe, Gabriel, etc.). I seldom haul anything in my truck, save for an occasional trip to the landfill, helping someone move furniture or some yard stuff from Home Depot.

Thanks for any advice or input!

BTW, I have done the following since purchasing this truck a year ago:

SPRING OF 2010:
1. Both accessory belts replaced.
2. BG coolant flush - with DexCool.
3. BG automatic transmission flush.
4. BG fuel-injection cleaning service.
5. Flowmaster "50 Series" TRUE dual exhaust (cat-back) system.

DECEMBER OF 2010:
1. New tie rods.
2. Wheel alignment.
3. VA state inspection (done every 12 months here).

I've spent a good chunk of change on my used truck, but I plan to keep it for a long time....and I still know it was a lot cheaper than trying to finance buying a new one! {{ OUCH!! }}

When you buy something used, it is sometimes best to get those fluids flushed out and change the filters when in any doubt. It appears as thought he previous owners took good care of my truck, but you can never be 100 percent certain.

When I hit 95k (probably late this spring or early summer), I am planning on new spark plugs & coil packs; and suppose it will be time for a differential service as well. My goal is to get 200k+ out of this truck.

I have changed the oil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles since I bought it - and I use Mobil-1 synthetic 5w30. Could I go longer? Perhaps; but I do it myself and save a few bucks and consider it "cheap insurance" for engine longevity. I've heard good things about the 5.3L and a friend of mine has an '02 with darn near 160,000 miles on his.

I've always been a Ford guy when it comes to trucks and this is my first Chevy truck - which I like so far.
Old February 14th, 2011, 8:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

115 views and no replies? Come on, I know that the Chevy BrainTrust must be able to help me out here.

Please, oh, please.