Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

heatshield noise

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heatshield noise

hey folks, for a couple of days a have been hearing a vibration noise coming from under my 09, 4.3, silverado. it sounds as if a heatshield is vibrating, i noticed there are shield covering both manifolds. they look like they are there to protect the spark plug boots from the heat of the headers, because the plugs are surrounded by them. would i be able to remove the heatshields if i put heatshield protection around each sparkplug boot. thanks
Old October 20th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd suspect that if its vibrating enough to make noise something is broken on one of the shields... you may be able to take it off and tack weld it (or having it done at a muffler shop)

But I don't see why you couldn't use a heat resistant sleeve for the plug wire...
Spark Plug heat sleeve

Amazon.com: Blue Heat Protector Insulating Fire Sleeve Spark Plug Wire Boot 8 Cyl: Automotive Amazon.com: Blue Heat Protector Insulating Fire Sleeve Spark Plug Wire Boot 8 Cyl: Automotive