Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Looking at buying a 2001 silverado...Questions??

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2007, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at buying a 2001 silverado...Questions??

Hey guys....Im new here and am thinking about buying a 01 silverado. The truck has about 80k miles on it. I was wondering if there are any big maintience problems I should be looking forward to?? Does anybody know any past history about this vehicle either?? Also, the truck does have a 6 inch lift....is there anything I should be looking out for with a lift?? My brother had a 2000 tahoe 3 years ago with a six inch lift and his frame cracked. So that makes me kinda iffy....but I would like to do some off roading with the truckk too. ANY help would be great!! Thanks everyone
Old September 21st, 2007, 6:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking at buying a 2001 silverado...Questions??

the Tahoes are built on a different chassis then the trucks, but weird the frame broke.....Abuse? as long as the previous guy did not rat bag it it should be fined, maybe have the tranny checked and front end, usually turning big tires that go with a lift can wear out these parts faster....other then that should be good truck.

PM me the VIN.....
Old September 21st, 2007, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to upgrade those parts so you dont run into any tranny problems?? If so....any ideas on places to check out? My brother drove his tahoe like a baby....never went off roading or never abused it. It could have been from the previous guy that owned it....but who knows. THe only reason why he found the crack was because he lost his power steering and when he inspected it he found the crack. When it split, some part jammed into the power steering line which cut it off.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can beef anyting up if you want, like I said if the previous guy was decent on the truck prolly will have no problems, the front end problems are just going to be inherent of lifted trucks, bigger tires, bigger offfset with wheels, puts more strain on the parts, like even power steering, trying to turn 35 or 37' tires is hareder then tunring a 235.....thats the problem with buying a used 'modified' truck, you dont know what it was used like...and you did not put the stuff on etc etc....