Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Motor Swap Help!

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2010, 8:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I was deffinetly worried about my tranny when the check engine light came on. I had it serviced (fluids and filter) but the mechanic said the fluids didnt look so bad. I drove it around 10 days after that and the light didnt come on for the tranny.

Now I was running a couple of codes when my truck originally overheated. It was the maf sensor (which I had anyways..) and misfire. The misfire made complete sense because it was having some rough starts with a rough shake, but it would go away. After the truck overheated one night, there was no coolant in the radiator.. We put some in to make it home. I took it to my local garage and he did the pressure test when the motor was cool and it wasnt leaking. We started it up, decent amount of white smoke and it over heated in under ten minutes. He did the other test which was to put the dark liquid in the radiator and depending on how bad the leak is the fluid would turn a lighter color and it lightened right up. We came to a conclusion my heads were cracked and its not worth rebuilding.

So im going to start fresh with a used motor and now its just a hunt for a decent motor at a decent price. I do have a K & N cold air and throttle body spacer now so I'll take them off and Im not to sure if it's worth putting on to the new motor. Im going to scavange what I can off of the old one deffinetly.

I was planning on keeping the truck until next fall, by then I can afford a newer truck. The problem is time is working against me and money is an issue. I hardly have time for work because im in school for engineering and that takes up most of the time.

Im just hoping everything goes smooth and the value of the truck is still decent by next fall. I relize I lost money but thats something I just have to move forward with and deal with the problems at hand. Im hoping the MAF sensor and all of that comes with the motor anyways. By the time I pay for new heads and Maf and a mechaninc to do that im going to be spending almost as much. That leads to a higher risk of the bottom end going..
Old December 16th, 2010, 1:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as the price for the engine and labor, thats a good deal, most shops would charge double that easy, but id defidently do some research and go bigger
Old December 16th, 2010, 1:50 PM
CF Junior Member

I just found another 4.3L for $500 out of an Astro. You have to pick it up, which isnt a complete motor swap would be about a grand plus the fluids and gaskets they said.

The problem with going bigger like I said was me worrying about the tranny going next. After having it serviced its been riding a lot nicer and no more check engine light. But this could be still be a problem with a bigger motor. Plus now im reading about my radiator not being big enough and doing all of that just isnt worth it. Im not sure what else I would have to do with it if I decide on the small block but im going to start by asking around for them as well.

The good part about the new motor I found is the place is really reliable and they test out the motors before selling them. Plus they have a 30 day warrenty and it's the whole assembly which is good for my maf sensor too.

What else would I have to look into for a 350 swap? Tranny might be going so i have to keep that in mind!
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
CF Active Member

go to performancetrucks.net, they have many many many forums about motor swaps and people on that forum are really helpful
Old December 21st, 2010, 8:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks I'll check it out when I get out of work later on!

As for one motor I checked out.. it was out a Blazer, then into an Astro Van... So they told me I would have to switch over manifolds and sensors. I called my shop that would be putting the motor in and he said that he wouldn't do it unless it comes out of the same type of truck as mine.

Then the second motor place thought that I was looking for a 4.3 for a 99'.. they said the motors are not the same, apprently some screws are metric instead of standard and it would cost a lot. Also they said the 350 wouldn't be practical for the money I currently have and the situation I am in! They are, however, looking in the mean time for a motor.

So now I'm back to square one pretty much. The garage won't be able to get me in for a couple of weeks at least so I still have time. Im looking around for a beater car as well to get me through the winter so I can look for a motor and have more time to do so. It's going to be whatever comes first, but I would really rather have my truck..
Old December 22nd, 2010, 9:55 AM
CF Active Member

well just becasue some things arent the same doesnt mean you cant swap them, i plan on putting a LS1 in my 97 k1500 and thats not supposed to fit but im going to make it,lol
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

i also have a ninety seven k1500. i have done a full motor swap from a long block( heads down) and a new tranny and a new rearend. plus exhaust and sound and tires. dont sell your truck if you are putting money in. i got twelve deep in my truck and i can only sell it four twenty six. you will never get what you put into it. throw in a vortec three fifty and since you already got everything out throw on some pacesettter shorty headers. also just a suggestion throw in a multiport injector system instead of stock direct port. you will have urself a beaslty truck for under fifteen hundred if you look hard enough for a motor. mine was a reman with brand new everything. paid elven hundred and got a four hundred dollar core return. spent the time and do it yourself. not hard at all
Old December 22nd, 2010, 6:30 PM
CF Junior Member

But that's the good thing about looking for a beater.. it gives me time to look for a better motor possibly even a 350 and someone to put it in at a better price! The tranny's are the same but like I said im worried about the slipping from the check engine light code
Old December 23rd, 2010, 9:10 AM
CF Active Member

ebay sells a rebuild kit for your tranny, and if you motor will be out then you should pull the tranny too and rebuild it, i just finished rebuilding my 4L60e like 3 days ago and man is she driving strong, rebuild kits run you about $90
Old December 25th, 2010, 1:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh man that may be the key to a 350 swap!

Motor place called- $800 for one with 150k

Quick Reply: Motor Swap Help!