Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Motor Swap Help!

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same! Im really wise with my money. I work a good job (Mold Company) and im currently in school for Engineering so. But going through school means minimum income and no loans for vehicles so I have to deal with what I got. Im budgeted around $1500 for now, but with the beater I'll have time for more money and possibly a better deal on a motor! Then I'll always have a back up and I can always resell the beater if it comes down to it! The problem is there isnt much for sale currently around my area!
Old December 31st, 2010, 7:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going to have drive pretty far for my next
Old December 31st, 2010, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default 05 Silverado 5.3L

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum and need some help and/or advice. 6 months ago, I purchased an 05 silverado LT 4x4 with a 5.3L gas engine, and 68,000 miles on it. . I just did the first oil change on it, and I am the proud owner of aluminum and metal shavings!!!! The engine isn't knocking or anything! I've been told that these motors have had alot of problems with clearence in the valves? Been told that the engine could go in a day, or even take a year to go, but it will. It's pretty sad that you spend all this money buying a truck from a dealer, and you're sh''t outta luck. I don't know what to do, replace motor or dump it? What's your take on this.

Thanks for any feedback guys!!!
Old January 1st, 2011, 3:58 AM
CF Active Member

if the body, interior, tranny, and everything else is good then just go with a motor swap
Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Yep,,,,,just gonna drive it until I see the oil pressure go:-( My truck is awesome,,,,,so now I just have to play the waiting game,,,
Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
CF Junior Member

No warrenty on a newer truck?

Yea it's also really hard to find good deals for a cheaper price!
Old January 4th, 2011, 6:00 AM
CF Active Member

can you have the valves adjusted to have more clearance? if not id swap the heads out so you dont risk ruining the block
Old January 4th, 2011, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

So I actually found two decent vehicles for around the right price!

-95' Honda Civic 5 spd with 170,xxx but in really good condition. It also comes with snow tires which is good. I can keep this even when my trucks fixxed for a drag car or swap that!

-Toyota Pickup v-6 ext. cab. It has around 200,xxx with rebuilt motor. I actually know the kid selling this and it wasnt beat at all. It has a 2" lift with 31's, and exhaust, and cams. Its really nice shape, solid frame and very little rust. I actually heard these get worse gas milage then a full sized truck!

Either way it gives me time to fine a more decent motor and possibly a cheaper mechanic to do the work! This also gives me time to think about fixxing the tranny. Im not sure what to do with the tranny though! But if the tranny gets better then that can mean a full 350 swap! (: My buddy is also possibly selling a 6" lift for my truck for dirt cheap. I can buy really good shocks and put 35's or bigger under her! She'll be real tall and really powerful! All together the suspension work, tires, and rims would run around $1500 later on next year!
Old January 5th, 2011, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by SilveradoShane413
So I actually found two decent vehicles for around the right price!

-95' Honda Civic 5 spd with 170,xxx but in really good condition. It also comes with snow tires which is good. I can keep this even when my trucks fixxed for a drag car or swap that!

-Toyota Pickup v-6 ext. cab. It has around 200,xxx with rebuilt motor. I actually know the kid selling this and it wasnt beat at all. It has a 2" lift with 31's, and exhaust, and cams. Its really nice shape, solid frame and very little rust. I actually heard these get worse gas milage then a full sized truck!

Either way it gives me time to fine a more decent motor and possibly a cheaper mechanic to do the work! This also gives me time to think about fixxing the tranny. Im not sure what to do with the tranny though! But if the tranny gets better then that can mean a full 350 swap! (: My buddy is also possibly selling a 6" lift for my truck for dirt cheap. I can buy really good shocks and put 35's or bigger under her! She'll be real tall and really powerful! All together the suspension work, tires, and rims would run around $1500 later on next year!
how the hell are you going to come onto a chevy forum and talk about getting a civic or a toyota pick up?!?!?!? the chevrolet gods are going to smite you
Old January 5th, 2011, 4:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by silverado13
how the hell are you going to come onto a chevy forum and talk about getting a civic or a toyota pick up?!?!?!? the chevrolet gods are going to smite you
i own a ford

Quick Reply: Motor Swap Help!