Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Motor Swap Help!

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2011, 3:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotstylez
i own a ford
well atleast thats domestic but still pretty bad, ford what?
Old January 6th, 2011, 3:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tempo!!
Old January 7th, 2011, 5:11 PM
CF Active Member

ewwww
Old January 8th, 2011, 7:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Well at least it gives me time to work on my truck!

So my other freind actually suggested buying another identical 1500 like mine and do the motor, tranny, and whatever else swap! Then take the axels and put them in my toyota! You can usually find them around a grand which is almost what just a motor is!
Old January 9th, 2011, 3:07 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by SilveradoShane413
Well at least it gives me time to work on my truck!

So my other freind actually suggested buying another identical 1500 like mine and do the motor, tranny, and whatever else swap! Then take the axels and put them in my toyota! You can usually find them around a grand which is almost what just a motor is!
you can do that but you have to weigh whats your best option, for an example, if you get of with a motor and tranny and is also in better condition, you mine as well just stay with the new truck. but i mean you can also see how much you can sell yours for and just buy another
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Well I picked up the Toyota pickup yesterday! Its actually not bad for how little I paid! The body hit 200k and the motor was just rebuilt with cams, headers, exhaust, new battery and alternator.. New Yokahama tires (31's) with a 2" lift. Its a 5spd so its real fun to drive and it will hopefully be reliable.

Now this gives me more time to look at all my options. Over the summer I wont be in school and I'll be working a lot of hours. So by the fall I'll have enough for a decent truck. Now if I can get a grand for my truck it might be worth doing that. Or put $1500 into it and still only make a grand, maybe a little more...
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM
CF Active Member

yeah sounds like you got it planned out, just having no vehicle sucks, the tranny in my truck was shot and then i blew the tranny in my neon, so i had no vehicle while i fixed my trucks, so i was stuck at home, talking about sucks
Old January 12th, 2011, 8:19 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by silverado13
well just becasue some things arent the same doesnt mean you cant swap them, i plan on putting a LS1 in my 97 k1500 and thats not supposed to fit but im going to make it,lol

Mr 13: we need to stay in touch, I to have a '97 K1500 that is going the ls system a vortec 6.0 to be exact, $1200 with ECU, wiring, and accessories.

the 327 TPI is toast litterly, lost the water pump an locked up.

Last edited by tinbender59; January 12th, 2011 at 8:27 PM.
Old January 16th, 2011, 9:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Default no used motor

The guys who recommend switching to a 350, 5.7 Vortec motor, are right on. It's a super motor, excellent torque and horsepower balance, economical (mine gets 20mpg or more on the highway, 15mpg in town) and durable. Plus, you're thinking about switching out a motor with 140k miles for a motor that has 120k miles? I would not do that. I'd arrange my dollars and go for a fresh 350, get the tranny looked at during the change-over and rebuild if necessary. Also, there's long term maintenance items, brakes, cooling system, suspension... if you want a good truck for a long time, do those things close together. For what it's worth, that's exactly what I'm doing with my '98 K1500 Silverado. Hurts a bit now, but my Silverado is going to be my truck for a long, long time.
Old January 16th, 2011, 5:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Well as it turns out my neighbors truck got stolen and the ******* took it into a tree... (Wish he stole mine IMO). But yea he has an 00' GMC 1500 with a 5.3L I think its the 327 and was wondering if I was possibly interested in it. The motors good but he still has to do some insurance work to see but I dont know if it would fit!

Quick Reply: Motor Swap Help!