Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Navigation Install Questions, Concerns, Information

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2010, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Install Questions, Concerns, Information

Hello everyone. I have asked this question before but received not much information. I want to install a Navigation Radio that is capable of voice recognition, bluetooth for my phone, and reverse camera. Here are the logistics of what it is going in:

2007 (new body) Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ z71 4x4.

I currently have bose sound system with onstar. Onstar is NOT active and more than likely will probably not ever activate it as long as I can get my iphone to work wirelessly (bluetooth) through the head unit. I do not have Rear seat entertainment, however, I do have a radio back there that passengers can plug in earphones and listen to what they choose. I do have XM radio, however, that is not active. I might activate that later if I can get the xm navtraffic to work properly...

My question is what ALL do I need to do this? I really need the part numbers of all of the extra things I need. I know I need the head unit, VSS harness, VCIM, Bluetooth antenna, Navigation antenna, etc... There are different models of the Denso Navigation unit and I do not know which one would work best for what I want to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfreak
Hello everyone. I have asked this question before but received not much information. I want to install a Navigation Radio that is capable of voice recognition, bluetooth for my phone, and reverse camera. Here are the logistics of what it is going in:

I currently have bose sound system with onstar. Onstar is NOT active and more than likely will probably not ever activate it as long as I can get my iphone to work wirelessly (bluetooth) through the head unit. I do not have Rear seat entertainment, however, I do have a radio back there that passengers can plug in earphones and listen to what they choose. I do have XM radio, however, that is not active. I might activate that later if I can get the xm navtraffic to work properly...

My question is what ALL do I need to do this? I really need the part numbers of all of the extra things I need. I know I need the head unit, VSS harness, VCIM, Bluetooth antenna, Navigation antenna, etc... There are different models of the Denso Navigation unit and I do not know which one would work best for what I want to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
To start with, I want to let you know that the most difficult portion of your upgrade will be finding someone capable of doing the programming properly. Any OEM unit will need programming to work properly in your vehicle. I recommend calling around until you find someone who has done it before in leiu of just taking your car to your favorite dealership. Odds are they don't know how to do it. They'll eventually tell you the unit doesn't work in your vehicle and you'll be out $100 or more. Find someone with experience.

You may find some resources that tell you that you need a Bose unit. This is misinformation. All settings can be changed with proper programming.

As for the head unit:
You will need to get a '09 or newer unit from most GM trucks and SUV's with voice recognition. You indicate you want Denzo, so stick with full sized trucks or SUVS excluding Escalade, H2's. Several part numbers will work including 20807044, 25857365, 25894203,

If you want USB, you will need '10 and up. Example part numbers are: 25966512, 20902104.

Antenna: I've used antennas our of just about every GM vehicle and put them into others, so long as they are the same body style. We've even used one from a DTS in a truck. However, an example of a part number for a truck one is 15201798.

Nav discs: Avoid ones that say they will fit the Acadia Escalade or H3, they will not work in your vehicle. To be safe, order a disc that is made for the vehicle your NAV unit came out of, not what it is being installed into. I order my discs from GMNavdisc.com when I need them. The most current for a truck appears to be 20940248 and it is out of stock. You may be able to find one cheaper on eBay.

VCIM: VCIM is going to kill your OnStar. I've heard of people getting them programmed and OnStar working. I've also heard of new units not haveing any issues. Example part number for a VCIM that will work in your truck is: 20829984. If you're getting a used unit, insist on the antenna if it's available. If it isn't, they are realativly cheap new (I think like $15?) I do not have a part number for that. You will not be able to buy a VCIM new from GM as they will not sell them to you. Important thing to remember: You will need to turn on the VCIM. This is done by pressing the bluetooth button, saying, onstar, then saying bluetooth. It's a very cool feature.

VSS wire: I do not think there is an actual part number for it? You'll need the voice wire too. Usualy you can get them both together on eBay for around $25.

Backup camera: Do you currently have one in the mirror? If so, good luck. Your vehicle is wires for that. If not, you can install it. I do not have any part numbers for that. Everyone I've seen upgrade to that has gone aftermarket.

Rear seat entertainment: This is a nice feature for the NAV even if you don't have it in your truck as it will allow you to play DVD's when the vehicle is in park.

Hope that covers it.
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

SchramAutoParts,
Is there a way you can get ahold of all of parts you suggested and I just purchase a "package" that is a fair price? Basically, if you can get me a "fair" price I am more than willing to purchase when you can get the parts. I would rather have a "new" VCIM that has never been programmed before to avoid any potential problems from the dealership. I know GM probably will not sell me a new one unless mine burns out or something. Let me know if you can work something out. Thanks
Old June 3rd, 2011, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Hello all...

I just completed the install for the new VCIM (Onstar version 8.2) and navigation unit. The VCIM number I used is 20829984 and the Navigation unit I used was 25857364. The install went pretty smoothly and took only about 3-4 hours to complete. The hardest part was locating the wire I needed to tap into at the junction box. Once all the wires were installed I booted it up and everything looked good..... At least for 5 minutes....

The navigation unit works like a champ. The VCIM/Bluetooth is what I am having problems with. I now have a red light on my rear view mirror for onstar. This isn't a big deal if the bluetooth would work but I can't get it to pair. I actually spoke to an onstar representative through the emergency button and they tried to update it but had an error message saying the unit is not compatible with the vehicle. I tried to pair my phone with the bluetooth (apple iphone) and the phone is asking for a security code. I do not know what it is. When I hold the phone button down for 2 seconds and try to acquire my information it gives me a mobile ID number but it says security code unavailable and acquisition setting unavailable? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jpk
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Man no one has any info?
Old September 19th, 2011, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

GEt an aftermarker nav. The Kenwood dnx 8000 or 9000 series are nice with voice recognition and all. Iphone direct connections and no BS to defeat things.
Old September 19th, 2011, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

(Reference link removed due to closure of website)

Last edited by OnThePike; October 5th, 2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: (Reference link removed due to closure of website)
Old September 21st, 2011, 6:57 AM
CF Active Member

In 07 I installed a Nav in my 07 NBS with a back up camera. The only problem I had was finding the green & white VSS wire. O used an Kenwood 2000? rear camera & connected it to an adaptor from a company in Houston. I beleive the company is long gone. Mine was a plug & play no programing or any dealer interface. My truck is an LTZ with bose only thing I didn't do was go Bluetooth , sorry I can't be much help .
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by fishfreak

if you have factory radio...no navigation screen a friend of mine who bout a gps from OTTO NAVI GPS says their units aren't too bad and fair price..

I am currently stuck deciding between their Android OS and their Windows...

Silverado Navigation System | OttoNavi
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:29 PM
CF Junior Member

The price difference of $170 does kind of seem hefty ...so far from talking w/ one of their techs both radios to have the same features as each other only difference [a big difference] is one can connect online while the other cannot. But how much web-browsing can you really do while driving...I mean GOOGLE MAPS would be awesome as no navigation competes with it in my opinion, but I mean for $170 more? I can just buy a new phone...maybe the Samsung S3 lol.. why does it have to be so hard to make such a simple decision...

What would YOU guys do if you did get one of these...

Quick Reply: Navigation Install Questions, Concerns, Information