Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

No Power on 99 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2008, 3:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power on 99 Chevy

I started noticing my problem of no power when i would floor it and it would take off like normal and then hit 3 grand and it was like someone shoved a sock in the intake... i then changed my fuel filter not the problem, but i put up with it since i could drive compltely normal if i didnt gun the gas, then i started noticing that i couldnt get over 50 miles per hour so then i thought maybe bad compression but that checked out at 175 even on all cylynders. 5.3 btw, then it got where i couldnt get past 2 grand on rpms and not evenhit 15 mphand it would just bog down like it was starving. i then thought cats, and just what i figured the passenger side cat between the rear o2 sensor and the rear of the cat was glowing orange. so must be cloged cats. i pulled the upper o2 sensors and it still acts the same way. so now i am stumped could it still be the cats or is the opening for the 02 sensor enough to allow it to breath so it can move.

any suggestions will be takin

next move is removing the y pipe completely so it will be open manifold.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 3:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: No Power on 99 Chevy

another thing.... when i am holding down the gas it will be bogging down and as soon as i let off the gas it revs up and sounds normal and then when i start to give it gas agian it bogs back down but there is no medium of now much gas i give. it will always bog down when i press the petal but go back to a normal idle when i let off...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 7:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds like a fuel injection problem.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 8:36 PM
CF Junior Member

thank you... i just dropped y pipe.. although one of the cats is colapsed it still ran like junk.. so now im going to start digging in the injection side of the house... does any one know how to test the injectors...
Old November 3rd, 2008, 8:49 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not sure on how to test them, but I'm pretty sure you can buy a cleaner for the fuel ejectersthat will get alot of deposit build up out or anything thats clogging it. If its really dirty and a cleaner helps remove alot of build up, you should see a big difference. Try that out first. Do a search on google and I'm sure you can find something. Or go to a local auto shop. I'm pretty sure it will do alot of help. Give it a shot.
Old November 4th, 2008, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

what is the fuel pressure at? sounds like not enough you say it revs up after you let off the gas thats when your matching your air fuel mix and getting power if you had more fuel the engine wouldn't bog it would rev up, maybe bad pick up fuel filter (screen) in tank or pump not giving you all the pressure you are needing. just some ideas
Old November 4th, 2008, 6:12 PM
CF Junior Member

appreciate it i am going to go down adn get a fuel pressure gauge and check it out tonight will post results
Old November 5th, 2008, 3:14 AM
CF Junior Member

if i were to get the correct pressure at the fuel rail the only thing left in the fuel side would be the injectors correct...and what controls the fuel injectors... the pcm or is there a fuel manager... along with the coils is there a ignition module or is that also contolled by the pcm
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
CF Active Member

pcm controls it all with help from a few other sensors
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

For those looking a really good fuel system cleaner, check outBG 44K. Same stuff that the dealers use and it is cat safe. http://shop.autobahnpower.com/produc...ctor%20cleaner

Quick Reply: No Power on 99 Chevy